Smoking a Front Pork Quarter - Advice?

Hunter Butler

TVWBB Fan
EEC851B2-E3C8-4069-A5A3-F493A2BB8F67.jpeg
Has anyone ever cooked a quarter hog? I didn’t pick this up today, but was tempted- I assume I’d cook it at 225, but don’t have a good idea on how long this would take on the smokefire. Thoughts? Should I run back and grab it?!

In the tradition of whole hog cooks, I would probably just baste, slow roast over coals (no Smokefire option there) for a long long time, and baste some more and more and more....

It's pork...actually really tough to overcook - particularly when it's on the bone and larger cuts/mass. Longer, slower...pretty hard to mess it up really. It will drip a lot of fat...so don't let a flare up scorch things...maybe higher up and a good drip tray? I have not used a Smokefire so limited knowledge there.

Last edited:
View attachment 35754
Has anyone ever cooked a quarter hog? I didn’t pick this up today, but was tempted- I assume I’d cook it at 225, but don’t have a good idea on how long this would take on the smokefire. Thoughts? Should I run back and grab it?!
225 and get after that thing. SmokeFire be able to bring that home nicely!

Years ago we cooked whole hog over coals as GrantT stated. We used two ingredients to bast the hog while cooking
(B & B) Butter and Budweiser. I do believe the Budweiser was basting the internal body more than the hog. We would cook the hog all night long and play horseshoe.
Those we’re the good old day.

Thomas

Back