Smoking 8 small butts

Jon Paschal

I bought 4 8-10 pound butts and had the butcher cut them in half and tie them. I give them away as Christmas presents. I do this every year but I always forget how long it takes. On a Weber 18.5 Smoker, dome temperature 225*, ambient outdoor temp 35*, how long? Seems like it took about 18 hours last year.

Thanks,

JDP

If it were me doing four whole butts, I would plan on 15-18 hours. Not totally sure how the time would be affected by sutting them in half.

So the butts are 4-5 pounds now? I'd probably check them at 6 but it might take another hour or two. Wrapping them half way at all?

Yes, they're already cut. Just rubbed them and they're back in the refrigerator til about 4 this afternoon. Planning to put them in the smoker around 6:00 PM. And no, I don't wrap them at all. I really like a lot of "bark". I cover the butts with mustard and then rub the rub in really good. Makes a nice thick coating that really cooks great.

We're they originally bone in? Or boneless? Just wondering as I plan on a multi- butt cook soon. Shorter time for 8 small vs 4 large butts... I can get bone ins for 1.49 lb and in store disc of another 15% for larger 8-10 lb bone in..... Or like 1.89 lb for small precut boneless...

I give them out whole. I cook the butts with the fat cap still on, so I tell them to cut the strings, cut off the fat cap and then shred the butts with forks. I do it that way so that the ones who don't know that "pulled pork" comes from a smoked butt can learn something new for them. Many folks don't know so it makes a fun and educational adventure.

I'm amazed at the response I get. Folks get really stoked about something that you've cooked for them. It sets the tone for me for the Christmas season.

Back