Smokey Joe 14" side handles

Jeff Beitinger

TVWBB Fan
Has anybody attached side handles to the bowl of their SJ? Id like something like that for the times I've had to move mine post-light rather than grabbing it by the legs which is way too unstable.

I haven't done exactly what you're looking to do, but I have removed bowl handles from full-size kettles and used them to replace the new-style "taco" lid handle. A spot weld cutter from Harbor Freight does a nice job of cutting through the handle and gives a nice hole to put a bolt through. I've also drilled holes in the side of kettles to install Performer brackets. Start with a small bit and use painters tape to keep the bit from walking. It actually goes faster if you only go up one bit size at a time.

If you're more interested in the end result than the project, you could get a Smokey Joe Gold or a Charcoal Go Anywhere. The Smokey Joe Gold has the lid bale that can be used as a carry handle. The Go Anywhere has side handles. I've cooked on both and would strongly recommend the Go Anywhere.

Back