Smokefire Stealth EPX4 won't reach more than 250C/480F

The thing I like about the buckets (or things). They're fully sealed once snapped shut, they're WAY easier to handle than the expensive fancy pellet containers, and easier to dump pellets into either from the bag or from the grill's hopper. Two buckets per 40lb bag, unless you're one of those folks who only find the 20lb bags

The thing I like about the buckets (or things). They're fully sealed once snapped shut, they're WAY easier to handle than the expensive fancy pellet containers, and easier to dump pellets into either from the bag or from the grill's hopper. Two buckets per 40lb bag, unless you're one of those folks who only find the 20lb bags
Good info, Sir. I think 2 buckets will keep me covered. Pellets are an extremely available commodity so I see no sense in storing large amounts.

Good info, Sir. I think 2 buckets will keep me covered. Pellets are an extremely available commodity so I see no sense in storing large amounts.
Yep, I bought a s&*tload of buckets because I was able to "clean up" at my local Menards getting 40# bags of SmokeHouse 50/50 oak/hickory pellets for $7.99 bag and then 12% rebate on top of that. So I bought like 12 (maybe more LOL) bags. I have them stashed in back garage. Some in buckets rest is in the back on wood so no moisture condensing from concrete. Once they're done I'll go back to buying a couple bags as needed. But I got a while lotta pellets. About 480lbs of 50/50, maybe 200lbs of Kirkland and about 160 of Sam's Club supplied SmokeHouse brand. I think I am good for a couple weeks :D
But I also bought a couple of those Solo Stove Mesa XL table top fire pits and they burn pellets. Haven't even opened the boxes yet for them. Waiting for my deck season to start

Yep, I bought a s&*tload of buckets because I was able to "clean up" at my local Menards getting 40# bags of SmokeHouse 50/50 oak/hickory pellets for $7.99 bag and then 12% rebate on top of that. So I bought like 12 (maybe more LOL) bags. I have them stashed in back garage. Some in buckets rest is in the back on wood so no moisture condensing from concrete. Once they're done I'll go back to buying a couple bags as needed. But I got a while lotta pellets. About 480lbs of 50/50, maybe 200lbs of Kirkland and about 160 of Sam's Club supplied SmokeHouse brand. I think I am good for a couple weeks :D
But I also bought a couple of those Solo Stove Mesa XL table top fire pits and they burn pellets. Haven't even opened the boxes yet for them. Waiting for my deck season to start
Yep, I normally don't stock up but that Menards sale was a no brainer. I bought at least 10 bags and no issues so far burning them in the SF.

@Yngve Nordby has this always been the case? My Broil King 500, did exactly the same. Just wouldn't get over 260'C. BK try replacing hot rod, temperature sensor. In the end replaced the grill. It was suspected it was the controller. Apparently, they have a problem with one on four with controllers. Unless pellets are damp, I can't see them making a 60-70'C difference.
Yes this has always been the case with this grill, I'm afraid.

So BK has problems with one of four with controllers? I suspect this might be with my Stealth edition too, as I'm pretty sure it's not the pellets. But Weber support says they haven't had any controller failures on the Stealth edition before, only the 1st and 2nd gen EP-series, so they pretty much have ruled that out in my case and blames the pellets. But problem is, my pellets are fresh, sealed in unopened bags (not collecting moisture in the hopper), and also from different brands. None of them works with my grill... I seriously can't believe that Weber blames the pellets and even claims that the Smokefire can't reach full temperatures these days, at least not with Weber-branded fresh pellets. Have anyone heard anything of this??

What is this moisture you speak of? I only know of this as ice in my drinks. Does it live in the wild? Here we have a land of dryness which can turn you into a prune if you're outside too long.
You speak of pellets, I have many bags of such stored out in a shed and a patio box. Moisture is not an issue it's the absence of that is what in the land of dryness that becomes the problem. Right now, I have a full pellet box of Weber pellets in my camp chef that have been in there waiting for warmer days when I can get my sorry butt out there and upgrade the controller.
They have been in there at least 6-7 months. I will check them, but I know by now they have turned into stone. About the same consistency of aged concrete. Hit them with a hammer and they turn into powder.
My problem is they burn like a road flare on steroids making the temperature swings unreal.
The others if left sealed in their bags seem to be fine also if carefully resealed after opening.
FYI Rust is also not allowed in Arizona.
:giggle:
A

Yes this has always been the case with this grill, I'm afraid.

So BK has problems with one of four with controllers? I suspect this might be with my Stealth edition too, as I'm pretty sure it's not the pellets. But Weber support says they haven't had any controller failures on the Stealth edition before, only the 1st and 2nd gen EP-series, so they pretty much have ruled that out in my case and blames the pellets. But problem is, my pellets are fresh, sealed in unopened bags (not collecting moisture in the hopper), and also from different brands. None of them works with my grill... I seriously can't believe that Weber blames the pellets and even claims that the Smokefire can't reach full temperatures these days, at least not with Weber-branded fresh pellets. Have anyone heard anything of this??
I think I'd go back to Weber. I emailed all sorts at BK, posted on facebook pages, then suddenly BK MD rang me...........

I have had this problem often with my smokefire ex4. Sometimes changing the pellets works, other times it doesn't. I don't know the answer and honestly ready to give up on trying high heat on it. I don't load up the hopper unless I am doing a long cook. Typically try to keep just enough to keep it going for the cook. I've had the smokefire since it was released. Been through all the updates, replaced parts... It got better, but it is still just unreliable.

The last time I had an issue, I was reverse searing some steaks and it wouldn't get past 400. Would drop back to 350, go up to 400, back to 350... I took it all apart, cleaned the auger and the grill. Tried different pellets and still wouldn't get hot. Drained the pellets and tried some other ones and it slowly made it to 600 twice, but it took over 30 min each time. The pellet were all PitBoss bought at the same time. I keep them in plastic containers indoors. I did some ribs at 225 and it did mostly ok. It ran up to 280 and took 20 mins to settle back down after I added the meat. Other than that, it seemed pretty happy. So, I tried to reverse sear again. I changed the temp from 225 to 600 and removed the steaks. After 30 mins it was hanging at 450. I did my best to sear the steaks that had been sitting for half an hour. Weber wants to send me a new ramp, but I don't see that being the solution. I never noticed the updated ramp help. I removed the finger guard long ago.

Something I noticed the last couple times I've had this issue is the fan doesn't seem to react to the temperature setting change. Typically, it ramps up and gets going pretty good when it does hit 600. When it won't do high heat, I've noticed that the fan doesn't sound like the speed is changing.

I have had this problem often with my smokefire ex4. Sometimes changing the pellets works, other times it doesn't. I don't know the answer and honestly ready to give up on trying high heat on it. I don't load up the hopper unless I am doing a long cook. Typically try to keep just enough to keep it going for the cook. I've had the smokefire since it was released. Been through all the updates, replaced parts... It got better, but it is still just unreliable.

The last time I had an issue, I was reverse searing some steaks and it wouldn't get past 400. Would drop back to 350, go up to 400, back to 350... I took it all apart, cleaned the auger and the grill. Tried different pellets and still wouldn't get hot. Drained the pellets and tried some other ones and it slowly made it to 600 twice, but it took over 30 min each time. The pellet were all PitBoss bought at the same time. I keep them in plastic containers indoors. I did some ribs at 225 and it did mostly ok. It ran up to 280 and took 20 mins to settle back down after I added the meat. Other than that, it seemed pretty happy. So, I tried to reverse sear again. I changed the temp from 225 to 600 and removed the steaks. After 30 mins it was hanging at 450. I did my best to sear the steaks that had been sitting for half an hour. Weber wants to send me a new ramp, but I don't see that being the solution. I never noticed the updated ramp help. I removed the finger guard long ago.

Something I noticed the last couple times I've had this issue is the fan doesn't seem to react to the temperature setting change. Typically, it ramps up and gets going pretty good when it does hit 600. When it won't do high heat, I've noticed that the fan doesn't sound like the speed is changing.
Did you mention the fan issue to Weber? They might replace more parts if your still under warranty.

That's interesting. The fans in both my grills are one speed only. They are on or off. Same with auger motors

My BK ramps up changing from smoke to roast, and roast to sear. As does the regularity of auger movements and time duration. With my faulty grill, the controller just didn't add enough pellets, for long enough to go from 250'C to 315'C.

Back