Smoked scallops, prawns and oysters

Skip Felts

I've been smoking scallops, prawns and oysters on my WSM since I got it three years ago. Also Kokanee. I posted a recipe for teriyaki oysters in the BBQ section before I noticed this one. For the scallops and prawns, I boil them seperately in some beef base for just a couple minutes, then rinse them and put them in a cold brine of 2 qts water, 1/2 cup brining salt, 1/4 cup molasses and some brandy. I put them in the fridge for about an hour. Then rinse again, and let them dry really well. Then I put them on skewers, and into the WSM on Pam sprayed racks. Teh WSM has been running for about a half hour already, with 3/4 chimney of coals and four chunks, usually apple or alder or pecan. Sometimes just one hickory. They go about an hour and a half at about 225, with one turn in the middle. The scallops come out like little smoke nuggets. You can peel them like string cheese and its pure smoke heaven. Prawns are more meaty, but also yummy. The dog goes crazy and begs for nibbles.

hi skip, im desperatly searching for a killer smoked prawn on a WSM.

Couple of questions;

why boil in beef stock first?

is it really an hour and a half? The prawns we get over here are prerry small, i was thinking 45 mins at that temp?

Thanks for any help

Back