Smoked Beet Salad

Chris Nielsen

TVWBB Member
This weekend when I fired up the WSM, I put 6 whole beets (tops removed, with about an inch of stem left) and stuck them on for about 3.5 hours, until they were heated through but not mushy.

When I pulled them off, I stuck them in a bowl and covered with foil so that the skin would loosen a bit. About a half hour later I peeled them and sliced them in half moons, and dressed them with a simple honey balsamic dressing I made (emulsion of oil, balsamic, honey, salt, pepper, and rosemary) and then refrigerated it.

You could obviously use any dressing you like (even just oil salt and pepper, though the vinegar component was nice) and different dressings will have very different final flavors.

If you like beets though, I encourage you to try this soon; it couldn't be easier. If you think you don't like beets, try it even sooner.

Chris,
This sounds really interesting. What kind of smoke wood did you use? I'm guessing it needs to be a pretty mild wood. Also I'm assuming you kept it around 225 degrees?

LOVE beets and am always looking for ways to work them into a meal so I might give this a whirl sometime soon.

Thanks,
Pat

Back