smoke flavor when grilling

Jim H.

TVWBB All-Star
I have been trying to get that 'just right' amount of smoke into steaks, burgers, etc. while grilling, but haven't had much luck. I was using a handful of dry hickory/pecan/etc. chips tossed onto hot coals just before grilling and letting them die down for a minute or two while I went to get whatever I was grilling from the kitchen. The other night, I was looking at a bag of Cowboy Hickory chunks that I have been using for smoking. The bag suggested to use some chunks in place of regular charcoal, lighting with starter cubes or lighter fluid, so I thought I would give this a try. I took a medium sized chunk, about 2"x2"x3" and tossed it in the chimney with regular K blue when the coals were just about ready. I dumped the coals into my kettle once the hickory chunk had turned completely black but not ashed over. So far, when I have used a wood chunk tossed on the coals while cooking causes an almost constant flame which is what I was trying to avoid by starting the wood chunk in the chimney.

This trick gave me just the right amount of smokiness on a couple of 1½" ribeyes. I will try it with some burgers or maybe some chicken over the weekend.

Give wood chunks a try if you haven't already.
icon_smile.gif

Jim-

For that smokey flavor while grilling without causing the wood chunks to catch on fire is to use the foil method. Take 1 or 2 chunks of wood that you use when smoking with your WSM and wrap the chunks in foil. Leave air vent opening in the foil and place it directly on the charcoal or next to it. This will add a long lasting smoke while regulating off the heat and preventing the wood to catch on fire. I use this primarily for indirect to add the flavor of smoking then place the meat on direct to get a nice sear. 

Mike

Jim dry chips thrown on the charcoal will burn off very quickly.

I soak them and add them right before I throw the steaks or burgers on. I usually add 1 1/2 to 2 handfuls of chips.

I use almost the same method as Mike - wrapping chunks in foil - but just cook in the opposite manner. I sear steaks or burgers first and then move them to the indirect side. I put the chunks on when I move the meat.

For my gasser I have a perforated steel box in which I place wood chips. On the real grill, charcoal, I toss a handful of soaked chips on the coals, like others have mentioned.

Jim
Instead of using charcoal, fill your chimney starter full of wood chunks and light it. Once the fire ashes over the wood, dump it in your grill and start cooking.

I use wood instead of charcoal for steaks and it turns out great.

for steaks I use Cherry chunks big ole fist size chunks.

Try it and see if it gives that smoking flavor that you are looking for.

Back