Silver B Tune up/Restoration and New Grill Decisions (Napoleon vs Weber)

@MikeCO

Glad to hear the cleaning and tuneup has your Silver B running well again.

I'm curious, do you have natural gas avail?

There's a Genesis II 3xx series with a sear burner listed on FBM near you for $250.

1714412334933.png

I do have NG available, but would have to hire a plumber to run a new line, which then lessens any savings. I'm comfortable doing almost anything around the house but tend to draw the line on running new gas lines. I may still look into that as I've considered a gas line run around the house to support a possible NG kitchen cooktop. But it would be a fairly long run so $$.

I actually hadn't considered a pellet grill and don't know much about them as it relates to the more everyday or more frequent "convenience" grilling. And do they accomplish a good sear as well? I'll take a look at the Searwood and see where it leads me. From one viewpoint it would be a better diversification of grills if I still have the Silver B.

I like having more than one grill/smoker. This was a few years ago and I had a fun time experimenting, comparing cooks between the different grills and smokers. Eventually I sold the pellet, and the WSM. Both were good, however for my cooking style I decided I could easily live without them.

edit: I meant to add that I'll always have a gas grill and some sort of charcoal grill.

1714430233113.png

Last edited:
I agree about the Silver B. After 20 years, I traded mine for a new Weber largely because of the sear station. It is the best feature. What is nice is having the very hot sear area and a cooler area to move the seared steaks. That way you can accommodate different degrees of done more easily than on a Silver B. I also like the new burner orientation better as it seems to give me a better indirect cooking area. I do not use a rotisserie so not an issue for me. My son has a Napoleon and that sear burner gets a lot hotter a lot quicker then the Weber.

I will say that I've been on the hunt for a 'freebie' (or close to it) three burner with a sear burner just because 'I think I need it'...... That being said, I did a killer steak last night on my little Spirit 2 burner (N/S) just fine ---- gave a proper reverse sear after bathing it in smoke for 2+hours with a smoke tube - took it to ~110 IT and then turned the burners off for another hour - then back on to 125 IT - pulled - rested and bathed in woosty - back on to the grill with both burners on high - seared them with the lid temp saying 450-500 til I was happy..... I could have gone harder on it - probably should have, but I wanted to keep it nice and red.... BEST steak I've had in a looooong time!!!

I was too lazy to burn out the Silver B to get a higher sear, but honestly I don't think I really needed it. You guys that need crazy raging heat to sear...... I'm not quite sure why.....

Attachments

• Resized_20240428_201658_63.jpeg
    Resized_20240428_201658_63.jpeg
    422.8 KB · Views: 2

Back