silly question but gonna ask anyway.. thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Corey Elks

TVWBB All-Star
when using your kettles indirect..... are you putting the foing under the food to keep the grill clean, or to save the juices for some sort of gravy? if its to keep the grill clean, will the juices just burn off when they hit the bottom. Just asking cause im looking at getting a kettle and only have a wsm right now. thanks.

i use one layer of foil on the charcoal grate to direct the air to the coal side. i make another layer to catch the grease to prevent a real mess. i have never used the grease for anything. if i did want the grease/oil for a gravy, i would elevate the catch pan up closer to the meat especially to prevent coal ash entering the grease/oil. you will be surprised what you can do with the kettle.

does the first layer of foil on grate go to the point of where coal is and then stop....so air flow goes under foil till it gets to the coal?

correct, ya got it ! this prevent air just going straight up past the meat taking the smoke and heat away. remember that the lid opening/vent should be opposite the coals and above the meat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back