Sharpeners revisited

I wish I had brought my longer knives with me this time! I'm just up the road in Grapevine as I type. Bummer.

I'd try the 9.4. You can return it if you want longer. Or buy both and send the one you don't want back.

Or--there must be some place around that has 10-inch chef's. What about all that new shopping in Frisco?

Update and more background: First off, I thought a steel refined the edge of your knife to make it cut better, in other words make it sharper. I did know that my knives would need a more professional or robust sharpening on occasion. I'll also admit that I'm still using the plastic or vinyl (both flexible and firm) type cutting boards. I believe I read those aren't the best to use so far as dulling your knife goes. I was looking mainly for a sharpener that wouldn't hurt or shave off too much metal on my good knives before I invested in a possibly more expensive system. Plus I needed one quickly because I was going to a comp and I was tired of that strip of meat on my babybacks getting ripped as I sliced. It doesn't help with the appearance scores. We bought a Smith's handheld/tabletop sharpener. It has two ceramic rod sections to pull through. One at 15-18 degrees and one at 25*. I used the 15/18 on my knives at the comp and it work great! My rib cuts looked fantastic. I'll post a pic later. Anyway, thanks for all of the reading material and advice. When I decide to take my knife sharpening to the next level, I know where to look. You guys are the best!

Does the steel of the Henckels take an edge that acute of 15/18? I'd figure the steel would be too soft and it wouldn't hold the edge long enough.

Kevin is spot on with the Shun recommendation. It uses a japanese steel, VG10, which is quite hard, so it can take a pretty acute angle. But it has more belly than a gyuto (japanese chef's, modeled more on a french chef's knife) and is a bit thicker. Gyutos you wouldn't want busting up chicken bones and hard squashes (thats where westernd debas come in). Not a bad initial foray into Japanese knives, sort of one foot in one foot out.

I've never handled a global, and hear raves about them. But of the commercialized japanese knives, most will recommend the Shun over the globals. Better steel, easier to sharpen, etc. Just an FYI. I've just begun to fill out my japanese knife collection, but will keep a german (henckel) chef's around for busting up bones and heavy duty stuff ... until I get myself a nice chinese cleaver/shun chefs/or western deba.

But of the commercialized japanese knives, most will recommend the Shun over the globals.
Maybe for home cooks. I have not heard this elsewhere. Globals actually have a more acute angle (10) than Shuns (16) because they are not beveled (they are designed like razor blades are, they get more acute as one goes from spine to edge rather than bevel at the edge. They are different in this regard (some other Japanese brands are similar) than other brands. Some do not like the handles (I do), an important consideration of course. The reason I recommend checking out knives from different manufacturers is because, imo, various maker's knives are more suited to various tasks than other's.

Get a cleaver designed for bone and/or a saw for working with meat bone. Some Chinese cleavers are for vegs and boned meat so make sure you get a meat one (blade thickness of 4-6mm) if you want to bust bones. Shun chefs shouldn't be used on meat bone. They chip. Debas are used for boning fish and meat but not for cutting meat bone. The edges are too fine. Softer metal will quickly dull; harder will chip.

Actually the recs came from knifeforums and dave martel, a japanese knife sharpener. just mentions the metal is better and much easier to sharpen. The shuns come stock with a 16 degree angle but can be brought up higher. The beauty of learning to sharpen free hand (which I am) is being able to play around with bevels, edges etc. As said, I've heard raves for Globals as well, just a different POV.

YEah I didn't mean to bust through bones, I'd get a heavy cleaver for that. I was thinking more along the lines of busting through joints breaking down chicken. Next time I'm in San Fran or near another city, I'm going to check out the CCK cleavers, which are fairly cheap and pretty good. I don't really bust through bones anyway Roast Duck stye. But might if I had a heavy cleaver just to use it!

Wa-debas are for boning fish, I'm talking a western deba. Thicker than gyuto for the heavier tasks.

Agreed. A western deba is good for heavier tasks (I just looked; not sure how I missed 'western' in your previous post--getting old I guess). They are good for bone work if not quite 'busting up' bones.

You certainly can change the angle and make it more acute and this is much easier on most Japanese knives. I have a Misono gyutou I've tightened a little and a pett and deba. As you probably know, it's important to keep in mind the type of knife one is considering changing--its type and what it's will be used for--from a cook's perspective, so as not to make the knife less functional. (I've seen it happen more than once!)

I don't think I know anyone personally who dislikes Globals but I know several that prefer other brands. THere are certainly many comments on line about the handles which, again, I like, but I can see how some wouldn't. For me I think it's that they were the first manufacturer to introduce their knives to American chefs--I think I got my first over 20 years ago--and they were a revelation at the time. Since, of course, others have entered the market in a big way. I don't know, were I just starting out now, whether I would select a Global or two. I'd like to think I would but that might just be nostalgia talking.

yeah well my cooking and prep work won't ever approach your level obviously, but I just like nice toys - That's why I have 3 grills as well
icon_smile.gif

sometimes the process is more fun than the results for me, of course the guests just want to eat, not how I had to fight the temps but won.

Re: globals, yeah was just offering a POV. My good friend who's exec chef for a major hotel in South America (was in Phoenix before) lives and dies by his globals, and my buddy from law school also has his set. I like the all metal look. You're first global 20 years ago? Man talk about ahead of the curve!

I'm thinking it was 1986. I was cheffing in Miami Beach then and, iirc, got wind of their introduction. Pre-Internet, it took time to find a source. (I'd heard not of Globals, specifically, but of the knives used by chefs in Japan, from a contact who had returned.) Had to make a lot of calls.

The process is, as you say, more fun for me, almost as a rule.
icon_smile.gif

All this discussion from you "Pros" about knives and sharpening is kinda intimidating to a rookie, but I enjoy learning ! I don't even know the correct terms for all the types of knives at this point...

Now don't laugh, but here's my situation...somewhere along the way I picked up a Chicago Cutlery "BioCurve" knife....I think my Ma gave it to me ! It's the "sharpest" knife I have, and I'd like to keep it that way. My brother gave me a Gatco sharpening system like the one here

Anyone have an opinion on this system ? It seems to get mixed reviews, but it also seems to address some of the "angle" issues I read about here...

Dean....

The Gatco system and similar products will do a fine job of sharpening your knife. I won't be the fastest way to get the job done, but you'll probably be happy with the results.

Originally posted by Carl H.:
The Gatco system and similar products will do a fine job of sharpening your knife. I won't be the fastest way to get the job done, but you'll probably be happy with the results.

Thanks, Carl....I'll give it a try and see what happens !

Dean...

Sure, Dean. Let us know how it works for you. Those old BioCurve knives weren't half bad. Simple and durable, with a comfortable handle.

Originally posted by Carl H.:
Sure, Dean. Let us know how it works for you. Those old BioCurve knives weren't half bad. Simple and durable, with a comfortable handle.

Carl,

Just how "old" IS this knife ??
icon_smile.gif

....and you're right....I love the comfy handle ! Funny thing is....even with almost no attention, this knife still cuts better than any other one I own (which are all mass market crap, I guess, like Farberware Chinese steel....old wedding presents, etc etc) Now that I'm starting to get serious with cooking, and Q, I realize I need to "invest" in some decent knives.....told the wife...."Add this to my wish list !")

Dean...

Back