Serious Steak

John Boehm

TVWBB Fan
Ive been grilling steaks for years and most are good and a few are awesome. For me the difference between the two comes down to tenderness. I need to know how this is achieved. Is it the cut, is it the marinade, or is it the cooking temp (or perhaps something else). I usually grill new york strips or bone-in ribeye. Typically I sear them on high for a few minutes then finish them on low. So, what is the ideal temp? Can a marinade effect tenderness? Bring me the grilling wisdom.

Hi John,

The biggest factor with steaks, IMO, is the grade of meat. Prime > Choice > Select. The higher the grade the more marbling of fat througout the cut. More fat means a more tender cut and more flavor. That is why a prime NY strip will always be more expensive than a select strip.
Personally I don't believe a marinade will affect tenderness. It will add some flavor, but not tenderness. The acid in a marinade can denature the protein and give it a 'mushy' texture. I don't want that in my steak. For a tender steak, I'd rather spend more money on a quality cut. I too cook my steaks as you do; sear high heat and finish indirect (lower temp) to desired temp. The other factor is the degree that you cook the meat. I mean rare, medium, well done, etc. The more you cook a steak, the less tender and drier it will become. You just need to keep that in mind with how the consumer likes to eat their steak. I'm a minimalist when it comes to steak. I like a little salt and pepper or maybe some truffled salt and pepper.

Paul

First it comes down to the grade of steak. A good "choice" grade from a quality butcher is a good start and usually much better than my grocery store.

I like to let them sit at room temp for 30-60 min with salt, pepper, garlic powder. Then cooked over medium-hot.

Hi John, first I will submit that "serious steak" and marinade are two things that just don't belong in the same sentence.

Don't get me wrong... I marinate steaks sometimes and welcome the change, the flavors, etc, but "serious steak" is a whole other animal.

I would say with my experience I've found that a truly great steak is a combination of things...

1) Fine quality, well cut steaks. For example, the other day, I had a large bone-in ribeye. It was a better quality Brandt steak, but he cut was awful. It was probably the last steak of the hunk and was cut a bit angular to the rib which just added a bit of sinue and altered the grain somewhat. It was **** good... but not great.

2. Preparation. A poorly prepped steak, no matter how quality it is will suffer. When I'm serious about steak, it comes out two even three hours early. It gets rubbed well with quality salt and fresh cracked pepper 45 minutes to an hour before. Less or more seems to change thigns.. mainly texture.

3. Grilling. I've done super sear than finish on warm... reverse sear... etc. I find for me and my friends that grilling a steak to completion over a super hot fire is the best way to go. The carmelization you get over the entire steak, the crust... surrounding a perfectly medium-rare inside is something quite special. I think two zone grilling works well, but I just seem to like the texture and final outcome of a steak grilled completely over raging hot coals. Perhaps it's the contrast between the crust and tender inside that makes it so awsome, but it seems that everyone I know who are really into "serious steaks" like it that way.

Bearns which is one of the nation's best ranked steakhouses, and even RuthChris, cook their steaks over super hot heat. They don't sear and finish. It's all one big sear.

Anyway, that's what I think. I'm sure you'll get 20 other replies that are just as passionate that are quite different.

That's what makes this sport awsome.

Thanks Chris for the info. I do love Ruths Chris but of course dont have the hardware that they have. Right now I have a Q320 and can get it up to 550 or 600* with the lid down. If I cook this hot does that mean turning the steak more frequently to prevent burning?

Last edited:
I'm a flip once guy. You can do a fine steak at 700 degrees. What actually burns and ruins your steak is when you have flames under it or even licking the steak from underneath. That just ruins everything.

One option you may try is what some folks call a Jet Engine Steak. Light up your chimney and put a great over the top and cook your steak right over your fully lit raging hot chimney. It's not for the faint of heart but the results are hard to deny. I've ruined and made some really great steaks that way.

Here's one way I look at it.. .when I go to Ruth Chris, Bearns, Morton's or even Capital Grill, I never see grill marks. What I do see is a very dark, consistent crust over the entire surface of the steak. They cook those super high heat. You're not getting a tan steak with designer grill marks. You're getting steak that's almost black. It's not brunt though. There's a huge difference.

You can mimic that fairly well with some effort and creativity. Mind you we're talking "serious" steak here... not just "I'm gonna go out and grill up some steaks for the gang." Serious steaks requires more effort and I only do it when I really really want that great steak experience.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by John Boehm:
Thanks Chris for the info. I do love Ruths Chris but of course dont have the hardware that they have. Right now I have a Q320 and can get it up to 600* or 700* with the lid down. If I cook this hot does that mean turning the steak more frequently to prevent burning? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>rs

Well I'm a big fan of flipping.

I usually get bone in rib steaks at least 1 1/2 inches thick, look for nice marbling and cook with the lid on to cut down the flare ups.

The reverse sear works well also but I don't have the patience to let a steak sit there for 10 minutes without peeking or touching it.

I also don't cook past med-rare.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Charles Howse:
This is presented just as another source of information, not as my preferred method.

Found this a few years ago and decided to keep it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Thanks Charles for the informative article. I will try that method next. No salt sounds odd to me but ill give it a try. What is your preferred method?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Charles Howse:
This is presented just as another source of information, not as my preferred method.

I do agree about turning several times throughout the cook, but that is why I don't like expensive steak houses. No salt or seasoning. Steak snobs maybe, but I gaurantee my guest will prefer my seasoned grill steak to one of those others.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by John Boehm:

Thanks Charles for the informative article. I will try that method next. No salt sounds odd to me but ill give it a try. What is your preferred method? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I bring 'em to room temperature, trim away the fat, build a VERY hot fire on the grill, S & P one side, place that side down on the grill, S & P the other side, sear both sides, move to indirect, close lid, let charcoal and a litte Hickory do their work. Medium, please.

I also think that grade (marbling) has LOTS to do with tenderness and flavor. I prefer a steak > 1" thick, with Ribeyes and Porterhouse being at the top of the list.

That said, today IS National Filet Mignon day...?

Back