Scalloped Potatoes

John Sp

TVWBB All-Star
Hello All,

I make this for the family a few times a year. It is a great recipe for CI cooking (either in your oven at home or in your spider in the camp site). The recipe is scaleable. I usually make it for eight to twelve.

Ingredients:

1 Med Potato for each diner (peeled and sliced into 1/4" cross sections)
1 clove garlic for each diner (roughly chopped)
1/4 med sweet onion for each diner (peeled and sliced into 1/8" rings)
1 Tbs butter for each diner
1 can cream soup (concentrate) for each 3 diners
Season salt to taste (I use Slap Ya Mama)

So for eight people I would use 8 potatoes, 2 onions, eight cloves of garlic, 8 Tbs of butter, and three cans of soup.

Instructions:

Grease your Dutch oven. Place a layer of sliced potatoes in the bottom. Add a layer of onion rings and garlic pieces. Break the butter up in to small bits and spread a few of them over the potatoes and onions. Season to taste with the seasoned salt. Add potatoes to the top of the onions and repeat this layering process until you run out of ingredients or run out of pan. Add the soup to the top (do not dilute it) and spread evenly over the ingredients. Cover and cook in a 350 degree oven for about an hour until the potatoes are tender.

Notes:

You can leave the potato peels on (just scrub them well). You can use any kind of cream soup - cheese, chicken, etc. My favorite is actually cream of mushroom. You can add peppers to the mix if you like. I plan to try this with turnips in the near future (low carbing it right now). You could also finish this on your smoker near the end of your cook. I use a mandolin to slice the potatoes and onions (it makes the slices very uniform and cuts way down on the prep time).

Once you try this, you will not want go back to the store bought box of scalloped potatoes (and neither will your kids)...

Regards,

John

Back