Saving a performer

Status
Not open for further replies.

E Mann

TVWBB Fan
Today I picked up an old performer for $30, which is pretty good but it's not in the best condition. There's a little bit of rust so I'm wondering if I can sand it down & re-paint with high heat paint. I heard someone mention before that the weber's didn't take paint well but I've never tried. I also have to bend the lid back into shape & replace the handle as he dropped it. the old owner didn't take care of it so I'm trying to give it the home it deserves. Any tips on how to fix a dying weber would be great, I'm not leaving this one behind!! Thanks for all your help.

Eric, congrats on your find,
Here, here, and here are some links to posts that might help you with your rehab project. Be sure to post some before, during and after pics.

Clean the rust off & then coat with food grade oil to season like a cast iron skillet. After each cook ( for the first 4-5 wash out with water & reapply oil, after several times you will get a protective coating.

Thanks for the replies guys, I truly appreciate it. When I asked the guy how old it was he said, "Maybe 7-years". Well he dropped it off this afternoon and tonight I looked at the date code and it was from 1995! The last time I checked 1995 was 16-years ago!

I studied it in detail tonight and the only big issues were that the lid was out-of-round and it was a little dented & rusted in some areas. I was able to bend the lid back to shape so now all I have to do is clean up the rest of it. I think I'm going to try to sand it down and re-paint the rusted out areas. The gas starter is missing but I wasn't going to use that anyway. I'll also clean up the rest of it and hope to get a good shine on it. Now that I it's from 1995 I'm even more surprised that's it's in such great shape!

Eric, I bought a 1998 Performer on CL last year. The first thing I did was take it completely apart. (I had no choice as I had to fit in the car to get it home.) I then sanded and repainted the frame. I used Rustolium Appliance Epoxy and their 1200deg semi-gloss grill paint. I also used all stainless steel hardware to put it back together again. (No rust there) While I went with the big dollar brick red new bowl and lid, it is much cheaper to replace with basic black. Last years prices for lid and bowl along with part numbers are below. Dont forget to post pictures when you are done!

Part # 10390 Lid, black basic. $39.79
Part # 90073 Bowl, black performer $52.14

John Ford, you can actually "season" the inside of the grill to a non stick surface such as with a cast iron skillet? Could you go a little more in depth with that, what type oil, etc.
RLM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back