Sauteed Okra With Tomato and Corn over Yellow Rice

r benash

TVWBB Emerald Member
Tried this yesterday as a side to a Tequila Marinated Tri Tip with Chimicurri and really enjoyed it. Thought I would add it to the reference. Got it from epicurious and modified slightly.

Okra Recipe I started with:

Okra from Epicurious

I went heavier on the Worcestershire, added some minced garlic and a few good shakes of Crystal hot sauce, and some smoked paprika. Fresh corn and garden tomatoes make it special. This is a good basic recipe that seems like it will hold up nicely to mods and flavor adds

Here's the yellow rice recipe I have used for years. Indian style, use ghee/clarified butter instead of oil if you have some handy otherwise oil works too. The ghee adds a great note. I was out and wished I had it. You can add all kinds of different things to this rice recipe as well, but it's a really good basic one as a base.

1 C basmati or other lg white rice
2 C water
3/4 t salt
1/2 t turmeric
2 T ghee or oil
2 T chopped fresh coriander leaves

Wash, drain, and dry the rice.

Boil the water, salt, and turmeric in a 2gt saucepan over moderate heat

Heat the ghee or oil over moderate heat in a 2qt saucepan.

Saute the rice in the hot ghee for 1 minute or so.

Add the boiling turmeric and salt water to the rice and increase the heat to full. When the water boils, reduce the heat to low and allow the rice to gently simmer. Place a tight-fitting lid on the pan and cook without stirring for 15-20 minutes or until the rice is tender and dry. Remove the rice from the heat, leaving the lid on for another 5 minutes to allow the grains to firm. Fluff with a fork and serve hot, garnished with the fresh coriander leaves.

I will leave the coriander out at times depending on what I am using the rice with. I need to make up another batch of ghee ;-) If you like Indian at all this rice recipe is awesome under Matar Paneer.

Back