Salmon Tonight

Larry,

Just got a hold of four Salmon filets, each one is around 2.2lbs+ they will be smoked.
I've never smoked myself, don't have a smoker either but I love smoked salmon ;) And grilled ;)
A friend will be doing the "job" of curing and smoking, not yet sure if it will be hot or cold smoked.

Will post pictures of the process and result (y)

Attachments

• Salmon.jpeg
    Salmon.jpeg
    97.7 KB · Views: 7
Smoke your own.

Darren,
I'm gonna try, but not this time :) Thanks for the link (y)

Tom, I bet you get some gorgeous salmon living there. Most times I buy salmon our Sam's club sells an organic farm raised Atlantic salmon raised in Norway. Really quite good. I tend to prefer Atlantic or King Salmon for it's higher fat content and being far easier to cook than our Alaskan (Chinook) variety. Which is VERY lean and goes from perfect to "oh s^&t" before you blink your eyes. Right now unfortunately I can't even look at a salmon thanks to having gotten food poisoning about 3 weeks ago. Wife bought some for me at local grocery store. It's an Atlantic variety raised in Chile. I'm not fond of it and typically don't bother buying it, but that night I was craving some on my smoker. So she picked it up. Well it made me violently ill. Turns out the store had a cross contamination issue with their proteins (particularly their chicken and fish). For some reason they handle both products in the same room with same equipment (knives mostly) and turns out they made more than me very sick that weekend.
From now on I'll stick to Sam's club because their fish is vacuum sealed in Norway and shipped here fresh.

Tom, I bet you get some gorgeous salmon living there. Most times I buy salmon our Sam's club sells an organic farm raised Atlantic salmon raised in Norway. Really quite good. I tend to prefer Atlantic or King Salmon for it's higher fat content and being far easier to cook than our Alaskan (Chinook) variety. Which is VERY lean and goes from perfect to "oh s^&t" before you blink your eyes. Right now unfortunately I can't even look at a salmon thanks to having gotten food poisoning about 3 weeks ago. Wife bought some for me at local grocery store. It's an Atlantic variety raised in Chile. I'm not fond of it and typically don't bother buying it, but that night I was craving some on my smoker. So she picked it up. Well it made me violently ill. Turns out the store had a cross contamination issue with their proteins (particularly their chicken and fish). For some reason they handle both products in the same room with same equipment (knives mostly) and turns out they made more than me very sick that weekend.
From now on I'll stick to Sam's club because their fish is vacuum sealed in Norway and shipped here fresh.
I got this directly from the producer, nice to know people ;), picked it up on tuesday, the fish was slaughtered the day before.
It will be vacuum sealed for the curing process before being smoked, as I wrote not sure if it's going to be cold or hot smoked.
Will let you know. I've never tried King Salmon, never seen one for sale either..
Very sorry to hear about your food poisoning, hope you are recovering fast, and will enjoy your salmon (Norwegian =) again soon!

Vaccumed the salmon..3 % salt, 1% sugar, with a touch of brown sugar. Will be cold smoked next weekend. 😊

Attachments

• 48D83ED4-1F6A-4B2C-81B4-5C116C589309.jpeg
    48D83ED4-1F6A-4B2C-81B4-5C116C589309.jpeg
    138.7 KB · Views: 6
That looks wonderful Tom. I still have not been able to even think about eating salmon yet.........................sadly

That looks wonderful Tom. I still have not been able to even think about eating salmon yet.........................sadly
That's a bummer.... Hope for swift recovery and the chances for eating salmon improving exponentially 😊
Hoping the smoking will turn out real good, learning how to do it from a friend. So I'll wait until he has the time to finish the task 👍🏻

I'm curious to know whether the final product comes out salty or not. I do a mix of 1 part salt to 1 part sugar.
Darren, according to my friend it will not be any saltier. The salt inside the package is the salt it will "gain" into the fish. He"s been doing this for years with different types of preparing either vaccumed or in brine. So I have faith. Can't remember what he said we will use when smoking it, but I'll let you know 😊

Back