Rotisserie question

michele p

TVWBB Pro
Do you cook with the lid on or off when using the rotisserie? (Over charcoal not a gasser)
Probably a dumb question, so I apologize in advance.
Thanks!

I apologize for my ignorance...I have never used one...I just dislike seeing a question with no replies.
In all things WEBER, I always assume LID ON...it's just the way they cook that leans me this way.

Mike, thank you! I was leaning that way too. Reassurance always helps!!
icon_smile.gif

From reading up on this Michele,I think you keep the lid on for most of the cook, then remove it at the end to crisp up the exterior.. For example with whole chickens. When I do beer can chickens that is what I do. I have a rotisserie but have not used it yet.I am sure the more experienced folks will give us the low down.

Thanks Regina! Whole chickens is what I will be doing, so it would make sense to do it like your beer can chickens.

the rotisserie ring adds so much volume and so many cracks (hole where skewer goes through) etc you won't have to open the lid to achieve 550-600F, in fact, if you want to go below 400F you'll pretty much have to choke off the top and bottom vents. That's how my setup works w/ a chimney or so anyway.

Lid on, although I suppose there is nothing keeping one from leaving the lid off. I keep thinking of doing tri-tip that way.

I basically use the lid for temp control.

Follows sort of the same personal thing I do when using the WSM as a carolina smoker/grill for roadside chicken and the like.

I use the lid to control flares and high heat as needed. Lid on will put out any open flames. I typically don't have that problem with rottis cooks though, lid and vents are used more for lowering temps as needed.

With the rotisserie I typically keep the lid off unless it's cooking too fast, then I close down the vents, put on the lid and slow things up. Watch the meat temps then lid off again to finish.

Back