rib racks w/ smokeanator 1000

J Connerley

Greetings,

I just purchased a Smokenator 1000 for my 22.5" Weber Kettle. I'm wondering if it's possible to grill with two rib racks, one on the coal grill and one on the cooking grill. I see in the Smokenator instructions that chickens, turkeys and brisquets get cooked on the lower level. Is there any reason not to have two rib racks goig on at the same time on two different levels? Thanks for your input.

Hmm, I never tried that with the charcoal grate, I always used the cooking grate and the hover grate that came with the Smokenator. I would think it wouldn't get as much smoke and too much heat on the side facing the Smokenator, but that's just a guess.
If you don't have the hover grate, use two charcoal rails to elevate a smaller grate, that works pretty well.

I'll give you an answer to that one in a few weeks! I have the Smokenator and use it, but getting to the bottom grill is kind of a pain when the food grill is full of stuff.

I have two rib racks coming. I plan to use them for smoking bacon and pork chops too. I did a dozen chops last weekend and I had zero room left on the food grate.

The only down side is the lower temperatures found at the charcoal grate, so you will definitely have to move your ribs around to have them all cook evenly.

Originally posted by Steve_A (Tatoosh):
I'll give you an answer to that one in a few weeks! I have the Smokenator and use it, but getting to the bottom grill is kind of a pain when the food grill is full of stuff.

I have two rib racks coming. I plan to use them for smoking bacon and pork chops too. I did a dozen chops last weekend and I had zero room left on the food grate.

The only down side is the lower temperatures found at the charcoal grate, so you will definitely have to move your ribs around to have them all cook evenly.
I thought the temps might be too hot, but you may be right since the Smokenators steel acts more as a buffer that reflector...only one way to find out though.

Hey guys,

Thanks for the input. I also asked "Meathead" from AmazingRibs.com the same question. Evidently the temp. can be 40-70 degrees cooler on the grill grate level. So there'll be a lot shifting around w/rib-racks on two levels. Charcoal rails and a smaller cooking grate sounds like a good idea as well. I really like the idea of the rib-racks for a more even cook on both sides.

But, like Chad says, "Only one way to find out!"

I bought a Smokenator last year with the Hover grill. They work well. It was the 1st step to my WSM. They do need attending frequently for water..about every 45 minutes or so but you can create some great food with them. I did a 10 lb BCT using the charcoal rack. It turned out well but it did over cook slightly at the top of the breast due to low lid clearance.

Gary S, I have almost quit using the water pan. When I do, I set it above the cut out on the food grate, not in the cut out for it in the Smokenator. It may be simply the quality of the charcoal we have here in the Philippines, but I cannot get good temperatures if I leave the water pan in.

So much easier to add charcoal and wood for smoking with the water pan out. I think that having the pan full does increase uniform temperature in the dome, but since cooking is a process of the meat losing moisture, I don't know if a water pan will slow that down at all. I know the water based smokers like WSM use the water pan to help regulate the heat so it is more even through out the container. So I may be losing some of that when I remove my Smokenator's water pan.

Hey Steve, I agree the water pan is a pain to service and so is adding coals. There are other ways of accomplishing a similar result without the Smokenator however when I use it which is not that much anymore because I have a WSM I can see the temps rise as the water evaporates. Now that does not mean I could not compensate in other ways but following the Smokenator directions the temps vary by as much as 50 degrees from full to an empty pan.

I can only dream about a WSM for the time being, so my little Weber kettle has to do double duty. So the Smokenator works really well for warm and hot smoking. I have not had good luck with it doing a cold smoke, but I might be able to do better down the road.

I haven't got my dual probe thermometer out and watched the food grate and dome temperatures with the water pan out. But I suspect you are absolutely correct on them. With my local charcoal, I have a hard time getting to the 220F - 250F temperature zone, so I tend to leave it out.

Back