RFC with texas bbq rub

Jeff Davidson

TVWBB Super Fan
I'm a fan of texasbbq rub but no one was more surprised when we used it for our thanksgiving turkey and it was without a doubt the best turkey we've had since we started making them on wsm. Given the our success with turkey, I decided to try it with Al Ramirez's kettle fried chicken recipe. I dipped the chicken in an egg and water wash, applied texas bbq original rub and then dredged it in dixie fried chicken mix. (the fried chicken mix selection in ny is a little sparse). Light spray of pam before going on to the grill, applied a little olive oil and flipped after 20 minutes. Pulled after another 20 minutes.

The chicken was delicious but what really set it apart was the extra layer of flavor from the texasbbq rub. The crunchiness of the chicken was a little uneven and I'll probably finish the next batch over the charcoal as opposed to pure indirect cooking.

btw, not sure this wouldn't taste just as good from the oven...

I'm also a big TBR fan, it's my go-to rub for pretty much everything, and it's the only rub that i've used for catering stuff. Excellent product they've got down there. If you like TBR, you NEED NEED NEED to order a couple jars of Texas Pepper Jelly (pineapple habanero, and berry medley jalapeno). The berry medley has replaced Smuckers in my fridge as the topping for toast. http://www.texaspepperjelly.com/

2x on being a fan of TBR.

Wat no pic's to share Jeff
icon_confused.gif

Which rub were you using the Original BBQ Rub? At this point i've only used the brisket and grand champion rubs, but i have a un-opened bag of the original.

Yes, I used the original rub. I've read a lot of people mix the brisket rub with original rub. I'd only ordered once from them since shipping was so expensive but I noticed they have a "ship for bags for $11" deal so I bought 4 two pound bags and gave some to friends and family. I'm also a fan of their newsletters. The subject is bbq but the voice of the writer comes through loud and clear.

Mike, that pepper jelly looks good, I plan to order some over the weekend. thanks!

Wish i would have noticed the "ship four bags for 11$" deal cuz yea shipping was expensive.
Thought it was just because i lived in Canada, sure it didn't help.

I exclussively use the Texas bbq rub in my seasonings. I tried many dry rubs, but I like them the best. I order 4 2 lbs bags at every time from them, 2 originals and 2 grand champion rubs, and I think they're the best.

TBR is my fav also. Problem is I got a good deal on John Henry rubs and got like 12 bottles. I'm trying to use them up. I happy with a few but some are ok. Can't wait til I'm out so I can order some TBR.

Back