Replacement Weber Performer ignition system

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeff M.

TVWBB Member
Hi Guys, I found a red Weber Performer at an estate sale. It's dirty and could use some restoration but my main concern is that the propane ignition system is missing. Nothing there at all. Anyone have any idea how much it would cost for a new one? Or is there a way to make a suitable replacement?

1) you can always start it with a chimney starter.

2) you can get all that stuff from Weber.. the jet, the button and wire, etc..

3) if the price is right, get it. you can always get those little bits later. the cart and table are nice.

I agree with Mike. If the price is right and I was in the market, I'd get it with or without the burner. I've even disconnected mine for a period of time and blocked the hole with aluminum tape because I like the way the grill behaves better without the hole for the starter. I converted it back because the starter is convenient but it's only a part of what makes the performer so great.

Thanks for the input guys. I went back and looked at it again today and here are a couple of pics of it. It almost looks like they just took a OTG and stuck it on a performer platform. I don't actually see a hole in the bottom of the kettle for the gas assist to come through. I also looked for a date code on the top vent and there wasn't one. If I go back and get it tomorrow it'll be $60. Still a good deal?

IMG00028-20110218-1411.jpg

IMG00029-20110218-1412.jpg

IMG00034-20110218-1413.jpg

Weber made the Performer with and without the gas assist feature. This was a little less money than the other type. By the way, I think its a great deal, compare it to the price of a OTG. You are getting a much better grill with this deal.

I have a Red Performer without gas-assist, for which I happily paid $75. The date code on the lid vent is "N" - 1991. This one looks a lot like mine - including the mini-storage area where the ignitor button and propane tank would otherwise be. I keep a disposable long-neck lighter and a pair of welder's gloves in there.

BTW, I have a chimney starter, and don't miss the gas-assist - in fact, I am happy not to have that hole in the bowl that Justin mentioned.

I have that same model as well, also in red (it's even my avatar for this forum). I use a chimney starter to with a fire starter cube tp light the charcoal. I'm quite happy with this system.

Bill

Thanks guys, I ended up picking it up Saturday morning. I cleaned it up a little today. Looks better than I thought it would. A little oven cleaner inside the kettle and a little Bar Keeper's Friend on the stainless steel did wonders.

IMG_3646.jpg

So my question now is what year do you guys think it is? The top vent looks like it has the original factory rivet but the top vent doesn't have a date code. Very strange...

Cleaned up great! And another difference is that the Performer without the gas assist didnt come with the casters on the other legs like the gas assist Performer. And you cant just add ones on either because those legs are actually a couple inches longer to make up for the difference of the space of the missing casters. If you added them on...it wouldnt sit level...it would be up about 3" on one end.

Thanks again for everyone's information. You guys are very helpful. I was surprised there wasn't rust on the inside. The One-Touch cleaning system was a little rusted but it still has life in it. I'll probably wait a little while before replacing it.

I took her for a spin last night right after taking that picture. Made some bone in ribeye's. Turned out great.

Gotta work on the fire control, though. It took me a little longer than I would like to get the temperature to stabilize. I'm used to the Smokey Mountain where you've got the top vent open all the time and adjust just the lower vents. I'm guessing I shouldn't do the same here, right? Adjust both the top and bottom vents? Also, what do you guys think about cooking over wood instead of charcoal? I'd like to try some mesquite grilled steaks. Any ideas of the best way to get a controllable fire with real wood? Just let it burn down? I'm afraid if it burns down too much the pieces will be so small they'll fall down between the grates.

On a kettle i leave everything wide open. A full chimney, about 75-90 coals if that.

I position the food either direct or indirect. But mostly indirect. If i'm doing a half a dozen sausages, i dump the coals in the middle and position the food around the perimeter.

if you are concerned about the temp with the themometer, just pull it out of the handle. then you don't have to think about it. seriously.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jeff M.:
Also, what do you guys think about cooking over wood instead of charcoal? I'd like to try some mesquite grilled steaks. Any ideas of the best way to get a controllable fire with real wood? Just let it burn down? I'm afraid if it burns down too much the pieces will be so small they'll fall down between the grates. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Once again great job and the rehab.
For lower and slower indirect cooking I use briquettes. I keep the top vent open and control the temps with the bottom vents.
For hot and fast grilling, I like to use a lump charcoal. I keep all vents open and sometime go without the lid. As for the small coals falling through the grill grates, I've added a second coal grate to control it.
That's what I'm comfortable with. But I've been grilling since I was a kid, and believe me, that was a long time ago.
Do some experimenting and find what works best for you. Don't forget to post some pics of them though.
Good luck and have some fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back