Reliable / Repeatable Pasta Dough

GrantT

TVWBB Pro
I've got nothing against a good dry pasta (we usually have quite a supply on hand from the local Italian shop) but there is just something about home made pasta for a special meal... This is my go-to recipe as it is just so repeatable - every time.

More than enough for 4-6 side dish portions...

300g - 00 Pasta Flour
185g - wet ingredients (2 large eggs + 3 large yolks + add water (if needed) for a total of 185g)
2 tsp - kosher salt (or 1tsp table salt) (see note 1)

Note 1: salting the pasta directly allows you to use LESS salt in the water to cook it! As I often use the pasta water for the sauce, I find the "recommended" amount of salt they say to use in pasta water REALLY salty - too salty for making sauces with it for me. But, feel free to leave out the salt and salt the water as you prefer.

Note 2: For 2-3 people (as a side dish) we usually just half the recipe using 150g of flour, and 1 x-large egg + 1 x-large egg yolk and enough water for 92.5g total wet weight.

Place all ingredients in food processor and blitz it up to form a dough ball (or use the traditional hand-mixing methods if you prefer).

Scrape out all remaining residue from processor and start kneading - at least 1 minute before considering adding more water or flour. This recipe rarely requires much adjusting.

Continue kneading for about 8 minutes for gluten development.

Rest at least 30 min wrapped in plastic wrap at room temp before rolling etc.

This is the amount of pasta (kitchen scraper for scale) a HALF sized recipe makes...

1716768216100.png

Last edited:

Back