Refinishing new wood slats

Fred Wileyi

Need advice on unfinished wood slats purchased from a great member. Not installed yet. Grill will be stored indoors. What do I do ? Stain , spray, coatings, etc ?

Buy a gallon of food grade mineral oil from Amazon. I do this to everything - knife handles, salad bowls, spoons, cutting boards, everything that touches food.

A good quality stain of your choice followed by several coats of spar urethane. It will look good and you won't have to keep redoing it every year.

Buy a gallon of food grade mineral oil from Amazon. I do this to everything - knife handles, salad bowls, spoons, cutting boards, everything that touches food.
That seems like a good idea. I wonder what Weber used back in the day to finish those slats. If it was a food safe oil stain

My go-to has been redwood slats coated with beeswax. Unfortunately, the guy who makes them for me has very recently retired and is moving out of state. That leaves me in search of a new woodworker at the moment so I’m all ears on this thread if someone here is making and shipping slats and handles.
A8FF9F61-A19E-4B98-B1C4-4880A5C8DA75.jpeg

My go-to has been redwood slats coated with beeswax. Unfortunately, the guy who makes them for me has very recently retired and is moving out of state. That leaves me in search of a new woodworker at the moment so I’m all ears on this thread if someone here is making and shipping slats and handles.
View attachment 79510
So these are beautiful! Is that just beeswax? With the natural wood color? If so it's amazing. Have never seen wood that actual color. Really cool!

So these are beautiful! Is that just beeswax? With the natural wood color? If so it's amazing. Have never seen wood that actual color. Really cool!
Yes, it is just beeswax over raw redwood slats. And I can take no credit for it at all. My woodworker actually suggested the beeswax when I asked him to use redwood for the lumber.

Steve, do you use some sort of self centering mortise jig for the longer holes in the handle? I’ve been pondering how to do a clean looking job on them when I tackle my handle.
No, but that's not a bad idea. However you decide to approach it just practice on some scrap wood until you get it dialed in.

Back