Recommended PID values

Dave Gagnon

I'm wondering since I have a pretty stock config if someone can share what PID value's got them tuned well. I have the 18.5 WSM with the high air flow auber fan. My first heater meter cook saw temp fluctuation over 50 degrees. A few instances almost 75 degrees. Rather than re-invent the wheel with tuning I would think since this is a fairly stock configuration that someone can share some value's that can tighten up that fluctuation I'm seeing.

I think the stock PID values were arrived at via testing on a big green egg, which makes sense since that is what Bryan uses. The PID isn't a magic bullet, it's the 'next step' in precision control of a system. It's a 'learning' system that will reduce variation - but it will take longer to control a system with large variation vs a system with small variation.

With my big steel keg, which is very similar to a BGE (can use same grate, diffuser, etc) I've found that the PID is nowhere near as critical as controlling the airflow - the volume allowed in by the fan (when off) is too much to run at 225*. You might have too much fan (or too much secondary air from leakage) - you heat it up quickly, overshoot, then it has to cool back down, undershoot & repeat. If you fan is off, then on, then off, etc - PID isn't going to help you, you need a more stable system.

You need a system where almost all the air needed is delivered w/o the fan. Then the fan can slowly add air to get up to the setpoint, then keep it there. overshoot is bad....

Seconding the airflow suggestion. If you're getting insane overshoot, you're getting too much airflow. When the fan is off, your temperature should drop pretty quickly. If it keeps coasting up for 20 minutes then that's not something PID values are going to fix. Posting a graph might also help once you get closer.

I was leaning toward PID value's because with the same setup the Auber temp controller I've replaced can hold +-20 degrees and even tighter once it settles down several hours into the cook.

Ah well just turn on the PID info (log in to HeaterMeter then hit 'p' on the Home screen) and see which value is causing your variation, then change that constant. +/-20 is still a lot of variation though, if my system is more than 5 degrees off I'm going to be jiggering with it.

Back