Rack of Lamb

Brian Trommater

TVWBB Super Fan
I have been looking at the rack of lamb at Sam's and would like to try and grill one. I will be using my Weber Silver C. I will keep the seasonings pretty simple. Most recipes call for rosemary which I do not like. I would like to cook to med rare. Any suggestions would be welcome.

I like to coat with olive oil, salt, black pepper, then coat with a lot of dried oregano. Cover the rib ends with foil so not to burn, direct heat to sear then indirect to 125° for a rare presentation.

Good luck

Mine would be to order some Todds Dirt seasoning. Rub the lamb down with evoo then granulated garlic and Todds Dirt. This stuff is made for lamb,pork,chix and prime rib. Trust me I've done it dozens of times. Lamb is our all time favorite.

I use olive oil and Cavenders Greek Seasoning (salt, pepper, some odds and ends). I do it on a kettle with the coals banked to one side so there's a direct and indirect area. Do whatever you need to do on yours to get the same effect.

Sear them over the hot part for 2 minutes a side. I don't foil the ends but I make sure they're not actually over the coals, they're kind of hanging back into the indirect area.

The whole thing goes back into the indirect area until it hits 135, which is about another 10 minutes on a side. I'd call that medium rare but nobody really seems to agree with lamb. Then rest for just a few minutes before serving.

It's pretty much exactly like cooking a steak.

I use a thermapen to check the temps since I'm really just double checking. If I used a probe I'd insert it after any kind of a sear step.

I haven't tried a rack of lamb since I ditched the gasser a couple months ago. I'm wondering if I need to foil the rib ends if I start indirect then sear at the end?

Anyway to answer the OP's original question, EVOO and S&P have worked great for me. And I don't think you need to use a probe. As Doug says, just cook it like a thick steak. You can insert whatever thermometer you've got to make sure internal temp is to your liking.

If you do it, please let us know how you seasoned and how you liked it.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DaleW:
I haven't tried a rack of lamb since I ditched the gasser a couple months ago. I'm wondering if I need to foil the rib ends if I start indirect then sear at the end?
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'd foil them unless you're pretty sure they're not getting direct heat at any point or unless you don't really care if they come out kind of scorched looking.

Marinade as you wish (I like red wine, crushed garlic, chili flake, thyme and olive oil)...also like to rub mustard on the outside.

i'd start direct, bone side down. By that, I mean if you're laying it flat, the rib bones are arc-ing downward. give it 4-5 minutes, then flip and another 2 minutes or so. I cook by feel, so you want the meat pretty soft to serve med rare.

one thing I've been doing is actually deboning them, which is pretty easy. just run your knife along the bone, kind of "scratching" it away and the meat pulls off pretty easily. Do the marinade thing...cook 2 minnutes a side or less even. The reason for this is you get a nice crust on two sides instead of just one.

Let us know how it turns out.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> I'd foil them unless you're pretty sure they're not getting direct heat at any point or unless you don't really care if they come out kind of scorched looking. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks Doug. When I get around to doing some racks on the OTG, I'll probably do one without foiling just to see what happens. It's a bit of a pain to keep the foil around the bones....

Thanks for reply. I got the rack from Sam's. I was thinking that they where thicker than they are. Shouldn't have any problems. Just don't want to over cook. I try not to use a instant read more than once if at all since after probing it seems like a lot of juices run out.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I try not to use a instant read more than once if at all since after probing it seems like a lot of juices run out. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm with you on that but, I always go choose to make sure I don't over cook.

Opened up package and to my surprize it had 2 racks in it. They where pretty thin. Cooked one and froze the other. They where no thicker than a steak so I grilled it the same time I do my steaks. 5 min on one side a 4 on the other. Boy that was a mistake. Was raw in the middle. Turned grill back on and cooked another 5 min indirect. Was still very rare. It tasted great but needed some more cooking. I should of used an instant read. Will know better next time.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Brian Trommater:
I should of used an instant read. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

They really do make things easier, especially if you get a Thermapen. They're pricey but they're really fast and the probe's much thinner so there's a lot less concern about actually using the thing.

Back