Question about short ribs...

Hayden McCall

TVWBB All-Star
Ok...so I bought these boneless shortribs at the store. They have RIDICULOUS marbling in them. But, I've never cooked them before and haven't the foggiest idea how to prepare them or what to do with them. Since they're boneless, I'm sure the cooking time varies from ones with bones. Are these tender? Do I cook them like small steaks or do these have to be cooked like a roast? I'm stumped. LOL

Hayden
I can't help you, but I always see those and have never gotten around to trying them. They look so good. I always planned on cooking them a long time like the braised bone-in short ribs I've had in Asian food. Well, I can't wait to learn some good tecnique and finally try them.

Sam's Club had some nice looking ones today but 1 I never cooked them much . and I been wanting to slow smoke some on the WSM . But problem is if I buy any meat befor using up what we have here I have no room in the freezer for nuten right now . and WIFE says whata ya gona do withem we got no room for them
icon_rolleyes.gif

Iam eating it as fast as I can I tell her
icon_biggrin.gif

Hayden, short ribs boneless or with bone need to be cooked low & slow, cook about 250-275 for about 2hrs then wrap in foil for about 1hr, great with mesquite wood, its like cooking a chuck roast

Originally posted by Noe:
Hayden, short ribs boneless or with bone need to be cooked low & slow, cook about 250-275 for about 2hrs then wrap in foil for about 1hr wrap in foil for about 1hr, great with mesquite wood, its like cooking a chuck roast

Yep, at some point the need to braise a bit.

So, cook them for two hours, then foil them. Now...for that next hour, are they still on the grill, or am I just letting them rest in foil?

I smoked some bone in short ribs last weekend. I smoked them for 3 hours at around 235 then put them in an aluminum pan with some onion, celery, mushrooms and a beer and covered tight with piece of aluminum foil and back on the smoker for another hour. They were really good but I should have left them on for maybe another half hour they were not quite as tender as I had hoped for.

Well...I've got the grill at 300...trying to settle it down around 250. Once I've achieved that, I'm tossin' these suckers on and just...hoping for the best. LOL Gonna let 'em go for a couple hours then foil 'em per suggestion...and let 'em ride for another hour. I have some fingerling taters I'm going to oil up and cover with kosher salt, and a couple ears of corn that I'll toss on for the last hour. Ordinarily I wouldn't cook the veggies that long, but since the grill will only be at 250, they'll take a big longer themselves. Pics later.

Back