Query about timing wings with other stuff on the Performer

Jennifer K

TVWBB Super Fan
Today is Chinese food day at Jennifer's humble abode, since my butcher didn't get the ox tongue delivery I was expecting.
icon_frown.gif

I'm trying to figure out in what order to put items on the Performer and what my best cooking temperature should be. I'm doing:

Chicken wings - I just bought one of those wing and drummie racks to suspend the wings on. Do they go over the coals or indirect? How long would wings normally take on one of those racks?

Pork BBQ tenderloin - would this take about the same time as the wings? One recipe I looked at says "all direct heat" another one says sear it then move to indirect - any thoughts on which is better? It has a sweet glaze on it of course, and the wings are going to be glazed too.

Pan fried shrimp dumplings - these normally take about 6-7 minutes to cook on the stove. using the fry and steam method. Has anyone ever done them on the Performer. Would I need to use a lid over them even though they're inside the Performer? Maybe just foil them in a tray?

Chinese brocolli - this is getting steamed for a few minutes for color, then I want to oil it and sear on the Performer. I'm thinking it would go on last when everything else is just about done. Or should I allow a bit more time?

Any advice on overall cooking temp, timing, and direct versus indirect would be greatly appreciated.

Just noticed this is about a day and a half too late, so guess it's mostly a "so how did it work out ?" post...

I've never been totally happy with wings done on the Performer, but all the recommendations suggest 1-2 hours indirect. The tenderloin is a lot larger than a wing but you're cooking to a lower temperature so my guess is they would take about the same time if you were doing the tenderloin all indirect. For "sear and move to indirect" probably start the wings before the tenderloin. The wings need some low & slow time, much more so than the tenderloin.

With the up-front disclaimer that I've never done dumplings on the grill, I would try foil in a pan for the dumplings, with a bit of oil and a bit of water inside the foil for luck.

Broccoli on the grill is so far outside my experience that I'm not even going to try to answer
icon_biggrin.gif

Hope it all went well.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by John Bridgman:
Just noticed this is about a day and a half too late, so guess it's mostly a "so how did it work out ?" post...
... ...

Hope it all went well. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

John, thank you for your thoughtful reply. Based on your comments about wings, I can see why mine didn't set the world on fire. I put them on direct at the same time as the tenderloin, scorched the craps out of them, shoved them all over the grill trying to get them to cook evenly, and then took them off WAY before the tenderloin to make room for other stuff I wanted to cook. In short, my wings were a lesson in how NOT to make yummy ones. I actually threw some in the trash.
icon_frown.gif

Other dishes I made on my Chinese-athon fared better, and you can see them here.

In the end I did my dumplings on a cast iron skillet, since it would fit. But it took a really long time to heat up and, looking back, I think the foil pan system would have been better - we live and learn.

Thank you again for your suggestions!

Jennifer I do wings on my kettle indirect at about 400-425. They crisp up nice in about 1/2hr-1hr depending on the size of the wings, I toss them in the seasoning with a bit of oil before they go on the grill.

I usually do pork loin indirect at 350-375 for about an hour.

So I would start my pork loin like normal then after 1/2 an hour bring up my temps and add the wings and take my internal temp on the loin to see how far along it is. The loin will probably finish quick at those temps so keep a close eye on it.

Pull and rest the loin when it's done and wait for the wings. They shouldn't be to far behind the loin.

Bob, thank you for the great tips. I now see why my wings were only fit for gnawing blindfolded. I'm going to do more wings this weekend and use the good advice from you and John, and JBs suggestions made on my Chinese-athon thread. Hopefully I will be able to report a success!

I like to do wings with the Roadside Chicken recipe.
I prepare a bowl of the sauce and dip the wings.
I get the WSM going with a full chimney of unlit blue, over a chimney of lit...hot fire all vents open, with no water bowl.
The wings go on and are dipped at intervals of about 10 mins for 45 mins or so.
Beautiful color and great just off the grill.
Sauces are served on the side.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bob Sample:
Jennifer I do wings on my kettle indirect at about 400-425. They crisp up nice in about 1/2hr-1hr depending on the size of the wings, I toss them in the seasoning with a bit of oil before they go on the grill. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
This is how I do them too. I usually brine them though. I then put them indirect for 15 minutes un-sauced. Then sauce the tops, turn them over, sauce the bottoms (now on top) and then keep them indirect for 15 minutes. Repeat the saucing process and finish indirect for 15 more minutes. Usually turn out great. Depending on how hot things are going you may have to shorten or lengthen the last "15 minute period".

Here's one I did back in March (1/2 way down).

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Don Cash:I usually brine them though. I then put them indirect for 15 minutes un-sauced. Then sauce the tops, turn them over, sauce the bottoms (now on top) and then keep them indirect for 15 minutes. Repeat the saucing process and finish indirect for 15 more minutes. Usually turn out great. Depending on how hot things are going you may have to shorten or lengthen the last "15 minute period".

Here's one I did back in March (1/2 way down). </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wow, Don - that was a great cook and thank you for the wings tips - yours looked fabulous.

Back