q100 too hot?

Justin W

TVWBB Pro
So this weekend I used my q100 to sear a tri tip after I smoked it. I recently received a laser thermometer and so I used it to test the grate temps. Even though I preheated on low, the grate was still over 500 degrees. It seared the tri tip in like a minute but I seriously think if I had gone even 1 minutes longer, it would have burned it... much less the 2x2x2x2. The thing that bothers me is this is the LOWEST setting.

I don't think I'm going to be able to cook a 1 inch steak to medium without ruining the outside.

Is this normal? Do the q-200's do this? Thanks in advance.

there just might be to much flame for the small space. on the austrailian list some have complained of the same issue. unable to do longish cooks.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by george curtis:
there just might be to much flame for the small space. on the austrailian list some have complained of the same issue. unable to do longish cooks. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Also, is a 1 inch steak, chop, or burger cooked to medium considered a "longish" cook. Seems pretty standard to me. I'm wondering if I have a bum grill.

longish is like trying cook a chicken and such. steaks etc are not cooked longish. my q220 seems to be ok. i usually cook steaks on it at full throttle or just a notch or two below that.

Thanks Russell,
I appreciate the idea that for longer cooks, it's better to go indirect. I just don't feel like I should have to cook a normal sized steak indirect if the grill is working properly.

I'm wondering if my grill is working properly or not. Or let me say this another way. My q100 IS running too hot and I'm just wondering if it's my particular Q100 or if they ALL do this.

If this is normal for a Q100 but not for the Q200, maybe I'll upgrade.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Justin W:
I just sent Phil an email. Hopefully he will weigh in when he gets a chance. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi Justin
I got your email mate so I thought that I would answer it here for the benefit of all.

really the Q series are just gas grills and do not have the temp range that charcoal does. If you try to get the temp down too low it goes out.

The non contact digital thermometers measure radiant heat when you shoot the grill you are also shooting the flames from the burner.

The baby Q should hit a lid temp of 550+ which would give you a grill temp of about 550 - 575F.

Having said all that Medium and Medium Rare steaks are a breeze rare steaks are a little harder.

For Medium Rare - preheat for 10 minutes,
Remove steak from fridge at least 1 hour before cooking and bring to room temp brush both sides of the steak lightly with oil (do not use OO it has a low smoke temp and tends to blacken everything). Season with S&P
put steaks on the grill at an angle of 45 degrees to the the grill and sear for 1 - 1 1/2 minutes (depends on the thickness of the steak) rotate the steak 90 degrees and cook for a further 1 - 1 1/2 minutes, flip and finish cooking to desired doneness for 2 - 3 minutes.
Thats the perfect steak
Now to low and slow there are several things that you can do.
As you will be cooking indirect use the foil and trivet method and have the foil go to about 1/2 - 3/4" from the edges so you only have a small area for the oxygen depleted air to escape, turn the Q down as low as it will go.
You can try putting a block of wood about 1 1/2" high under the lid to let the hot air escape. Both of these methods will get the temp down to about 250F.
The way that I use is I get a empty can and punch some holes in it around the sides and in the bottom. I disconnect and remove the gas bottle and then place about 6 - 8 lit briquettes or charcoal in the tin and place it at one end start cooking You can add or remove the charcoal to regulate the heat. You can also put a bit of smoke wood on it as required.

It is not how the Q was designed to be used but - what the hell necessity is the mother of invention and it works. The only problem with this method is that you need to add more fuel every 1 1/2 - 2 hours, I can do 12 hour cooks using this method.

Cheers

Thanks Phil,
I have not been pulling the meat out of the fridge an hour early. I guess if that's what it takes, its what I'll do but I was sorta hoping this would be my "quick grill" where i could come home and fire it up on a work day and be cooking 5-10 minutes later. Having to pull meat out an hour early would sorta defeat the purpose.

This is great information and a great idea regarding smoking on the q! That never would have crossed my mind.

You comments about medium steaks being easy and rare being hard reinforces my suspicions that something is wrong with my grill. Cooking a steak rare would be REALLY easy with my q100. Even at the lowest setting, the grates are over 500 degrees (BTW, I feel like the therm is accurate based on comparing parts of the grate over the burners verses the parts that are not directly over the burner). I could easily sear the outside of a rare steak on low. The problem is if I try to cook to a medium, the outside would be overly charred.

I'll keep playing with it. I appreciate your input.

P.S. Do the q-100 and q-200's behave the same temperature wise or is it like George suggested where the smaller grate heats up hotter than the bigger q-200? I've never used a Q-200 so I can't compare.

Hi Justin

The baby Q does get hotter than the Q200 series.
If it gets too hot you can always turn it down after preheating.
Try this, Preheat for 10 minutes, lift the hood , turn it down about 3 or 4 stokes and then brush it using the triangular brush, wait a few minutes and then put the meat on.

The reason for leaving the steak get to room temp is that it take less heat energy to cook it and less time and therefore less caramalization of the proteins (searing).
For a rare steak we latke the steak direct from the fridge and start cooking on high and cook for 2 minutes per side. This is for a 1" steak. For this steak you need to ensure that the grill is clean, and the steak is lightly oiled all over and the grill is hot, this will stop the steak from sticking to the grill for too long. The steak should be able to be lifted off the grill without sticking after about 1 3/4 minutes.

If you can't turn the temp of the Q down (check the flame height on high and low there should be a marked difference) then you need to contact Weber CS, it could be the gas control valve.

Cheers

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Phil Hartcher:
Try this, Preheat for 10 minutes, lift the hood , turn it down about 3 or 4 stokes ...

Cheers </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

See, that's the problem. I always run the thing all the way down at the lowest setting. It's still really hot.

I think you are right. I need to call Weber and see what they say.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Justin W:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Phil Hartcher:
Try this, Preheat for 10 minutes, lift the hood , turn it down about 3 or 4 stokes ...

Cheers </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

See, that's the problem. I always run the thing all the way down at the lowest setting. It's still really hot.

I think you are right. I need to call Weber and see what they say. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks again, by the way.

Justin...sounds like you have a problem with that grill.I have a Q100 and pretty much do what phil does.No matter what I cook I make sure the grill is clean and then spray with pam .I preheat on high for 5 to 10 minutes then cut it down to 3 below high.I throw whatever I'm cooking on and soon as it gets grill marks I turn it and get marks on the other side.Then I turn every minute or so....keep turning.I cook everything like this.

Back