Pyrex Baking Dish Explosion with pic's

when I fist saw this thread I was ready to nominate the OP for a Darwin Award; I thought it was operator error. I gather from reading the following posts that this can happen even when used "properly".

So I guess maybe the discussion should take a turn to make a case for the suitablilty of Pyrex in the kitchen. What is it good for? Why shouldn't I put my pyrex pieces in the recycle bin?

Originally posted by Clint:
when I fist saw this thread I was ready to nominate the OP for a Darwin Award; I thought it was operator error. I gather from reading the following posts that this can happen even when used "properly".

So I guess maybe the discussion should take a turn to make a case for the suitablilty of Pyrex in the kitchen. What is it good for? Why shouldn't I put my pyrex pieces in the recycle bin?

LOL at the Darwin award. The point of this thread was to make users aware of these dishes and what can happen. I have been using them for years and have never had an issue. However with the way I used it with this cook well it's history.

After doing some research I figured I would share my story so others did not go through what I did. It did make for a bad day.

Basically look at the links provided and make your own decision. I know that these dishes have been around forever but I do not feel that they are quite as advertised or are misleading. Then after reading that the materials have changed I am skeptical. Thanks for reading and adding to the thread. Vince

There was a local case where a lady opened her oven, and a glass dish inside exploded.

She got tiny shards of glass in her eyes. Ouch!

Her lawyer told me that after researching the case and talking to expert scientists, he threw out all glass cookware in his house.

Just yesterday at the grocery store I bought a cake pan to replace the pyrex piece... I'll just not cook with it anymore, it's just not worth it.

Back