Preferred items to cook over gas

Don Fry

TVWBB Super Fan
Kevin, I know that a lot of us here on this site cook with both charcoal and gas, but my guess is that there are probably more fans of charcoal who hang out here. Are there any particular items that you personally prefer to cook mainly on gas? Why?

Don,
Great question. Personally, I choose gas over charcoal when grilling anything under 20 minutes. Meaning most direct grilled foods because gas is much more consistent. When grilling for large crowds and family parties I need as much consistency as possible. That, being said, there is nothing better than a perfectly grilled steak on a a legendary Weber kettle!

Now anything over 20 minutes, indirect cooking I prefer charcoal. I love the flavor, taste and depth charcoal brings to grilled foods. Plus I love the ritual and the anticipation that comes along with perfectly grilled, bbq'ed and smoked foods with charcoal. That being said, I am currently using my Summit 670 along side my Bullet's almost every week to smoke ribs, shoulder and etc. and have found the results to be tremendous. To the point that my guest cannot tell the difference between food I have smoked on my Bullet's and my Summit.

I guess the jury is still out!!

What about you?

Kk

Last edited:
Interesting. Not quite the answer I was expecting. I also prefer charcoal for things that take time with the exception of baking bread. pizza and some other items that I have done on my gas grill where exact temperature is needed. I personally like to do all things that have a lot of grease in them such as skin on chicken, bacon, brats and so on over charcoal. I know my Summit and Q grill both have pretty decent grease control, but I just don't like the build ups that it can cause. I definitely prefer to do delicate items such as fish fillets and vegetables over gas. That said, I break my own rules constantly.

Back