Potential kettle therm mod?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rick TFC

TVWBB Member
I have 4 now so I feel comfortable with modding a bit. (Since I have back-ups for potential epic failure)

Would adding a therm right above the grate through the side of the top work?

Would this be accurate? Any reason it wouldn't.

Trying to use the whole measure twice cut once idea with you guys as my sounding board. So many cool ideas around here.

Thanks, Rick

Hey Rick.
I just use a $ 5.00 turkey fryer therm stuck into the top vent.

I would think that how you position your side mounted therm in relation to your top vent, as far as direct or indirect cooking might be an issue.

Tim

Good thought Tim. I was thinking of mounting one so I would still have the option of closing down the top vent, if that need arised.

Perhaps two side mounted therms?

Another option, if you're trying to measure temp at grate level, is to get an ET-73 and run the "smoker probe" wire under the lid...or if you still want to mod one of your extra kettles you could always drill a hole and install a BBQ Guru Eyelet in the side for the probe wire to pass through.

I love this thermometer and use it all the time on both my kettles and WSM.

Edit: If you're going to install an eyelet, I'd do it through the bowl and not the lid. Lifting the lid with a probe wire running through it would be a PITA.

I don't know if you've seen this thread or not, Rick, but you might want to check it out. Branon pretty much did what you're looking to do, and it came out looking pretty sharp.

Don, I like those grommets! Good Idea!

Chris, I did see that thread. It is a good idea, but is still at the top of the dome. I was erying to get a little lower to the grate. I just hope my workmanship looks as good. His looks stock! lol

Gotcha Rick. Going back and reading your post, I see that you mentioned that, but I didn't catch it on my first read. Ah well. Let us know how it works out! I'd like to see it myself.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Don Cash:
...or if you still want to mod one of your extra kettles you could always drill a hole and install a BBQ Guru Eyelet in the side for the probe wire to pass through. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Will the curved probe go through the eyelet?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Robert Black:
Will the curved probe go through the eyelet </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes. Not a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back