Pork tenderloin: season now or later?

Russell McNeely

TVWBB Wizard
We have a couple of friends coming to our house tommorrow after church. I'm going to be grilling a couple of pork tenderloins on the kettle and serving with an apricot-ginger sauce that I've made before. I'm just wondering whether I should season them tonight before going to bed or if I should wait 'till in the morning to do it. Seasoning consists of Kosher salt, onion powder, garlic powder, black pepper, thyme, and bay leaf. Not sure if it will matter much one way or the other, but would like to know what you guys think.

Thanks, Russ

Thanks, Corey. I was leaning that way myself because of the salt so that's what I did - just waited till this morning to season. Everything turned out fine.

Russ - something to consider is brining them in the morning before you head off the church and they will be ready to grill for lunch. I use that same schedule almost every week. I have become a big fan of brining for lean pork and chicken breasts.

Thanks Don. Sounds like a good idea as well. I haven't been cooking outside on Sunday afternoon that much. We often eat out on Sunday. I think I'm going to try changing that and so I'll probably be trying some different things. Maybe I can work out the timing and brine on Sunday morning or maybe the night before and have ready to grill for lunch.

Russ - just be careful on how long you leave things in the brine because of the salt. I personally brine mild meats like chicken breasts and pork tenderloins six hours max. Thick cut loin chops would be no problem. That is just my opinion FWIW.

If you go by % when you think about the salt, and you're not afraid of the meat turning "hammy", I'd add the salt the day before. The meat will be more moist and tasty IMHO. With a sauce like that, you would not need a lot of other spices? You can add them at any time that you like. I'd suggest something like 1.5% salt.

Make two different batches the next time, and see which one you like best.

Thanks, Geir. Yeah, that's what I was concerned about is the meat having a "hammy" flavor. I normally wouldn't be that concerned about it but since we were having company, I wanted everything to turn out really well. If I'm just cooking for me and the wife and kids, it ain't that big of a deal. Your probably right about not needing a lot of spices when serving the sauce with it. I actually was thinking about that the other day. Next time I make it I may try salt and pepper only on the meat. I like to add a lit apple wood for smoke which adds another bit of flavor to the meat as well.

Back