Placing grate on top of rotisserie ring for smoking?

Status
Not open for further replies.

craig hess

TVWBB Fan
A bit of an odd question...I have a rotisserie for my kettles and was doing a bit of thinking on how I could make them into a "poor man's WSM"...

Have any of you tried to place the grate on top of the rotisserie ring? I'm thinking of trying a smoke where I put my coals on the very bottom as usual, place a water pan on the grate where I normally cook and then place my food on the grate which would rest on the ring...

Is this possible to pull off?

yes its possible. i saw pictures of one done.
4 bolts were installed about 4-6 inches from the top to hold the grate. i printed the pics so have no way of getting the pics to ya.

sounds good, george...your description gives me a good idea of what i would need to do to hold the grate on the ring...

my goal is to be able to use the entire cooking space, as opposed to what i'm able to do right now smoking indirect...

the easiest way to solve my problem would be to just go buy a WSM, but i don't have the $$$ right now...

Not an odd question at all. I've been doing this for about 6 years. What I did was use 2 of the SS rod type Weber tool holders.
http://www.amazon.com/Weber-74...MG24/ref=pd_sim_ol_3
Bend them by hand so they fit on the inside of the Rotisserie ring. "Hang" your upper cooking grate on these and it doubles your cooking capacity. Just make sure your ring sits pretty tight, otherwise it's tough to control the Temps. I have to use Foil to seal the air gaps on mine. I "Smoke" using the indirect and Minion methods. It's not as "Automatic" as the WSM's seem to be, but it works just fine, just more hands on.

Thanks guys! That defintely helps!

We'll see if I can make the mods this weekend because I have a hankerin' for some brisket!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back