Pit Minder question

T Bounds

TVWBB Super Fan
Friends,

A couple of unbudgeted gifts have allowed me the chance to purchase a temp control to use with my WSM. I like my Mav e-73 so I don't need a digiq 2, but the pit minder looks to fit the bill for me. Still, I hesitate to pull the trigger to spend $150 for a fan. Is there anyone out there with experience with a pit minder and wsm who would recommend it? I'd like the consistency, but don't want to be disappointed. Help, please. Thanks.

I have three of the Pit Minders. I love these units, simple , do just what I need. I like the idea of the Stoker , just so many people have said the c/s could be so much better. I will tell you , if I was to need another unit , I would go for a Pitminder with out question!

Rick

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Brandon A:
Dont hesitate too long, as they have been discontinued. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Brandon , I just checked the Guru site ,no word there on the Pitminder discontinued. Where did you find out about this ? I would love to pick up one at a closeout!

Rick

I read about it in the ATC forum, this email from guru was posted in a thread.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by David Thomas:
For those interested, I just received an email with some new information on the CyberQ II (I am a stoker user myself!)

We are currently developing the next generation of controls in our product line. The all new CyberQ II is on the verge of being released to the market. With the overwelming response of the new digital control, the DigiQ II, we will be discontinuing the analog Pit Minder E temp. The new Digital controls are extremely easy to use and are our most advanced controls to date. Some features of the CyberQ II are:

• Super compact control allows you to control up to two pits simultaneously

• Four thermocouple probes allow you to monitor two pits and two food items

• USB interface allows monitoring and control from your PC or over the Internet

• Digital alphanumeric 8 character x 2 line LCD display with user-selectable backlight time

• Audible alarm sounds on over/under temp, food done, timeout and other user-settable conditions

• Real-time fan status and percent output indication helps you to measure fuel use

• Open Lid Detect

• Adaptive Control Algorithm

• Super User menu for advanced users

• User-settable "low and slow" ramp down feature

• User-settable cook timer gives alarm, shuts down your pit, or will hold the pit at the temperature you specify

This control will be available soon. Please check the website for the announcement. www.thebbqguru.com </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Looks like all my equipment is becoming dinosaurs . I had heard about the Cyber Q but didn’t know the Pit minder was on the way out . If memory serves me , the Digi brought the end to the Competitor. You , well I would think the Cyber Q would bring end to the Pro com keeping the low end Pit minder . Thanks for sharing the new .

Rick

Rick and Brandon,

Thanks for the replies and encouragement. I purchased the Pit Minder and plan on using it in a week or two as a trial run for 6 or 8 racks of babybacks. I need the practice since in May I'll be smoking 4 or 5 butts for my church. I've not done more than 1, and that one had great success, but I'm a little nervous. I'm planning on 24 hours lead time and praying the Minder keeps the heat all night. We'll see! Thanks again.

Last weekend I did a couple butts overnight and when I woke up it took me a couple minutes to remember I had the smoker going
icon_smile.gif
I LOVE being able to sleep through the night and not worry about temps, I have the digiq2 but I doubt the pitminder will perform any differently. Life is good, enjoy your pitminder.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by T Bounds:
Rick and Brandon,

Thanks for the replies and encouragement. I purchased the Pit Minder and plan on using it in a week or two as a trial run for 6 or 8 racks of babybacks. I need the practice since in May I'll be smoking 4 or 5 butts for my church. I've not done more than 1, and that one had great success, but I'm a little nervous. I'm planning on 24 hours lead time and praying the Minder keeps the heat all night. We'll see! Thanks again. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Which fan did you get? I am using the 10 cfm. If that is the one you got , you will need close it by 1/2 to 2/3 to keep from overshooting the temp. They are simple to learn , after you get it up to temp be sure the blower port is not open to the point that the temp keeps rising.

Rick

Rick,

I did get the 10 cfm, mainly for any winter experience I might have in the future when I need the cfm help to maintain a heat. The customer support did tell me that 10 cfm would be overkill most of the time, but 4 cfm might not be enough occasionally. So, I'll take your advice and experiment. By the way, will the unit not adjust it's speed to maintain a temp or is it simply toggled "on" or "off", always running at top speed if on? That reminds me of the first cruise control I ever had: speed up, slow down, ect. Whiplash was what it was! Still, I'll learn to get along with whatever it is. Thanks again for the help.

Back