Piedmont red slaw (the anti coleslaw)

Todd E.

TVWBB Member
I haven't seen this discussed as a recipe yet so here goes. It is a necessity for me to have with pork BBQ but also works well has a hamburger or hot dog condiment. Personally, I think that even uttering the words cole slaw when there is pork on the smoker is a travesty.

1 head cabbage (grated)
approx. 8 oz crushed tomatoes
1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
approx. 2 tbs. sugar
diced green bell pepper (optional)
salt
pepper

These are basic ingredients. All amounts may vary depending on how much cabbage you grate. I use something like this to grate the cabbage. What you're after are tiny chips of cabbage instead of the strands like in that other stuff. Be careful or you will give new meaning to the "red" in Red Slaw. I add just enough crushed tomatoes but not too much. You want it red but not looking like tomato sauce. I've never used an entire 15 oz. can for one medium to large cabbage head. When serving with chopped or pulled pork, try adding the dip (that's sauce in other parts of the country) that you are going to have with your pork as part of or as a replacement to the vinegar. Doing that also takes care of most of the seasoning. The sugar should be added in an amount that balances out the vinegar. Since reading this forum and experimenting with rubs, I have even used a few pinches of left over rub as seasoning. Add the liquids sparingly as the cabbage will "weep" a bit as the slaw sets up. You want a moist mixture that packs together on the bun but not so moist as to have the cabbage swimming in water. The green bell pepper is largely for color but does add a little bit of flavor to the slaw. Hit this recipe just right (e.g., not too spicy) and it will go as fast as the 'que.

Todd

May try this tomorrow.

Maybe throw in some onion and something else, not quite sure what yet, be it a spice or another veggie of some sort.

I wonder if you could leave out the sugar and green pepper, and add some sweet relesh?

I have to have red slaw with bbq. Don't even think about that white creamy mess.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Wesley VanHoy:
I wonder if you could leave out the sugar and green pepper, and add some sweet relesh? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Wesley, No recipe is written in stone. You can add or take out what ever you want to suit your tastes. I never really follow recipes, just use them as inspiration/ideas for what I'm making, unless I'm baking, which I don't do a whole lot of for that reason. I like to make things my own.
icon_wink.gif

I ended up buying some red slaw from a local bbq joint in Concord NC for my weekend cook. I was not thrilled with it. My butts and brisket were much better than the bought slaw.

I will get to work on making my own red slaw. I know what was in the bought slaw, and I can adjust mine to get the flavor that I am looking for.

Back