Pickled Eggs

Originally posted by Phil R.:
Wouldn't matter because C. botulinum doesn't hang out in egg yolks...in other words, you wouldn't find it in the egg even if it was totally uncooked.

Goes to show you how much I know. :D Thanks for the info Phil. :cool:

Brian,

Where's the recipe for your eggs? :) I just put 2 dozen of Kevin's in the fridge...need some variety!

Originally posted by Phil R.:
Brian,

Where's the recipe for your eggs? :) I just put 2 dozen of Kevin's in the fridge...need some variety!
Phil, This is the one that I have been using for awhile now. This is a true PA Dutch/Amish Recipe. They are sweet but have a nice bite form the apple cider vinegar, they are balanced out pretty good. I had 3 of them tonight along with my sub/hoagie for dinner.

PA Dutch Red Beet Eggs

12 hard boiled eggs
1 1/2 cups red beet juice OR
2 (14 oz) cans red beets with juice
2 cups apple cider vinegar
1 1/2 cups sugar
1/4 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. cloves
2 bay leaves (optional)

Mix beets and juice, vinegar, sugar, and spices and heat mixture to dissolve sugar and to speed up pickling process. Pour pickling mixture over eggs and let cool, and place in the fridge.

Here's another one, but I have not made this one yet, sounds good though.

Mustard Pickled Eggs

12 hard boiled eggs
1 1/2 cups vinegar
1 cup sugar
2 T. dry mustard
1 T. garlic powder
1 T. onion powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. yellow food color (optional)

Mix all ingredients together and pour over Hardcooked Eggs. Let eggs set in pickling mixture, refrigerated, for 3 to 4 days to reach full flavor. To speed up marinating time, heat pickling mixture before pouring over eggs.

This one is also on the to do list. I find this one very tasty just by reading the ingredients. I pulled this one off the net some time ago. Here it is word for word, copied and pasted.

I have been making this recipe for 20+ years and it is always a hit with those who loved pickled eggs. Makes my mouth water just to think of them!

PICKLED EGGS

3 cups apple cider vinegar
2 cups water
2 tsp sugar
2 tsp salt
1 tsp seasoned salt
4 Tbsp Tabasco sauce
1 small can hot peppers
1 medium yellow onion, sliced thin
1 can sliced beets
1/4 cup dry sherry
2 or 3 bay leaves
2 dozen hard boiled eggs, shelled

Combine all ingredients in a large glass jar and let sit for 3-4 days refrigerated before serving.

Originally posted by Bryan S
Here's another one, but I have not made this one yet, sounds good though.

Mustard Pickled Eggs

12 hard boiled eggs
1 1/2 cups vinegar
1 cup sugar
2 T. dry mustard
1 T. garlic powder
1 T. onion powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. yellow food color (optional)

Mix all ingredients together and pour over Hardcooked Eggs. Let eggs set in pickling mixture, refrigerated, for 3 to 4 days to reach full flavor. To speed up marinating time, heat pickling mixture before pouring over eggs.
OK I just made a batch of these. I'll let you know how they are. I sprung for the good stuff, I used Coleman's dry mustard. :D

I have been making this recipe for 20+ years and it is always a hit with those who loved pickled eggs. Makes my mouth water just to think of them!

PICKLED EGGS

2 cups water
2 tsp sugar
2 tsp salt
1 tsp seasoned salt
4 Tbsp Tabasco sauce
1 small can hot peppers
1 can sliced beets
1/4 cup dry sherry
2 or 3 bay leaves

Combine all ingredients in a large glass jar and let sit for 3-4 days refrigerated before serving.
I just made a batch of these cant wait to taste them.

I'm making my first batch of pickled eggs right now - the spices are simmering. I'm skipping the turmeric & green peppercorns, & shallots (not in kitchen), and I'm adding habanero sauce & 10 hot chili peppers... I hope they come out good.

it's been about 2.25 days since my first ever batch of pickled eggs went in & I had to have a try. They're pretty good, the heat came through, & the whites especially were changed but the yolk, not so much. So I'm wondering why eggs are pickled so I go to ask the professor @ Google U & here's what turns up:

http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm4934a2.htm

<snip>
Cultures revealed Clostridium botulinum type B, and type B toxin was detected in samples of the pickled egg mixture at CDC's National Botulism Surveillance and Reference Laboratory. C. botulinum was cultured from the pickling liquid, beets, and egg yolk. The concentration of preformed type B toxin was 1000 times greater in the egg yolks than in the pickling liquid and was undetected in the beets. Peppers from the original commercial container contained no detectable toxin, and bacterial cultures of the peppers did not yield C. botulinum. Beets from the original commercial containers were not available. The pH of the pickling liquid was 3.5 (i.e., adequate to prevent C. botulinum germination and toxin formation. However, the pH of the egg yolk was not determined [normal egg yolk pH: 6.8]).

<snip>

To reduce the risk for botulism when pickling, food items should be washed and cooked adequately, and utensils, containers, and other surfaces in contact with food, including cutting boards and hands, should be cleaned thoroughly with soap and warm water. Containers (e.g., jars and lids) in which pickling will occur should be sterilized (e.g., placed in boiling water for the prescribed period published in the container instructions) (3). Adequate acidification to a pH <4.6 is essential. Refrigeration at 39 F (4 C) during pickling is advisable, especially in foods that may be acidified inadequately such as whole eggs. Once opened, any canned or pickled food should be refrigerated. Pricking, poking holes, or otherwise handling whole eggs in a manner that might allow spores or bacteria into the yolk should be avoided.

Originally posted by Bryan S:

PICKLED EGGS

2 cups water
2 tsp sugar
2 tsp salt
1 tsp seasoned salt
4 Tbsp Tabasco sauce
1 small can hot peppers
1 can sliced beets
1/4 cup dry sherry
2 or 3 bay leaves

I'm making a batch of 30 eggs using this recipe - does anyone see a problem with using a plastic jar instead of glass?

One thing I did differently was added baking soda to the egg-boiling water & the first one I peeled came right off: http://www.wikihow.com/Hard-Boil-an-Egg

Third or 4th batch of pickled eggs... 41 of them.

threw in a couple raw sliced beets, a couple of habaneros, half a red onion, a sliced carrot, a bunch of dry mustard, 6 or so bay leaves, black pepper, ~8 cups ACV, water.......a little Chinese 5 spice, and that's probably about it.

1003271_10200227656396006_1828198272_n.jpg

Back