Performer Natural Gas Conversion

Status
Not open for further replies.

greg_c

Has anyone converted their Performer from Propane to Natural gas? I have 2 performers, the old style and the new style. I burned through the first tank on the new performer in no time. I know it may seem overkill, but I have the gas line out there already. Just curious what size orifice to switch it out with and see if anyone has already had success with one.

This is my first post, but been reading for a couple years. Sold my house in December and had to let my old WSM and Weber gasser go with the house... sad at the time, but excited about the new 22" WSM that I might get to replace it with. I may not even get another gasser... love the dueling Performers too much.

-Greg

Shouldn't be a problem. I had a guy come out and convert my gasser to NG, he had a chart that gave the right size to drill out the opening. My guess is that if you knew what the BTU's of the starter is, the opening diameter, the rest would be straight forward....sounds like a great idea.

Not sure what the BTU's are and could not find anything in the Performer manual to that effect. Is there a standard correlation in orifice sizes from LP to NG?

I like that idea. If I was to do it I'd get a NG burner valve ,NG orifice, burner tube and possibly manifold that was a set. Like from a NG Weber that went to the bone yard.

It became illegal here to simply bore out the orifice. You MUST use a NG approved valve here. Here you can drill out an LP orifice ONLY if it's being used in an approved NG valve and ONLY if it's exactly the same as the NG orifice for the valve except for the ID.

Suggest you at least get a licensed gas fitter to do your work and get a receipt.

God forbid something should ever happen from it; you should perform all due dilligence otherwise your insurance company might not cover it.

Shawn,
Thanks for the input... thats a good idea. I may just see if there is some kind of NG burner that will fit the hole in the kettle and hopefully still be able to use the push button start.

I also agree on the whole liability thing. I'll keep you posted if I end up doing it, but it will probably be a few weeks before I get around to doing anything.

In the meantime, if any one else out there has already done it or has any ideas... please send them this way.

I may be alone in this, but I don't understand why you'd want to go to all that trouble just to change the charcoal igniter. It seems to me that you'd lose mobility and, when all is said and done, the hook up would probably cost you more than the grill did. I'd just switch over to a 20lb tank. It'll last a long time and be a lot less trouble.

Bill

HA...
Bill, I think you're probably right... as if it is some huge trouble to go out and get more propane. Then again, for years I just used the chimney the old fashioned-way on my old one-touch and have now been spoiled with the convenience of propane. I guess I just knew I was gonna have that gas line put in and when my little propane tank went out the other night I had too much time to think while watching those coals get ready.

I think I will live without it, but it would still be kinda cool.

Get a nice Weber gas grill for the natural gas line. You can probably get a nice deal on Craigslist and then you'll have it as a back up to your charcoal grills. The gas grill is the only one my wife will use by herself. So it comes in handy now and again.

Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back