Performer modification

Status
Not open for further replies.

A Finlay

New to the forum, but not to grilling/ smoking. I have a 2009 performer ( wedding gift )gets used 2-3 times a week. Added the smokenator. Ran a temp probe through propane tube into the kettle. Now I am wondering, could i hook a blower up to that same tube and really crank the heat? Never used the gas ignition, chimney all the way.

I'm sorry. I don't understand exactly what you are asking. What is it you are trying to accomplish? High heat with a smokenator?

Also, why not use a gas starter? That's one of the best features of the Performer. I like use the gas to start the chimney therefore no newpaper mess. (I got that idea from this forum but can't remember from who. Works great and saves gas.)

the point of the smokenator is to have long low temp smokes/cooks . so why the need to crank it up and to do what? also i think yer temp probe is not going to last long in that position.

sorry all, i guess i confused the issue by mentioning the smokenator. ( great mod though). I really am looking to see if anyone has used the propane tube in the performer as a pre built entrance for controlled air? I am looking for high heats for searing tuna, steaks etc. The temp probe running through there means i didn't have to add a grommet or run the wires through the lid.

That makes sense. What are you going to use for a blower? I've got a guru hooked up to mine but I had to cut a hole. It wasn't a big deal, but it did require a step bit (or something like it).

Although I personally wouldn't sacrifice the gas starter to do it, I think the using the propane tube is a great idea and am looking forward to seeing how it turns out.

I'd probably still drill holes for the probes though. If you are taking apart the gas starter already (obviously, not thinking resale) then there's not a lot of down side to adding an eyelet. Having your probes that close to the fire (by running through the propane tube) is going to kill those probes pretty quickly because they will basically be IN the fire. Eyelets are like 5 bucks...will save you a lot more than that in probe replacements. Just my 2 cents.

I am going to sketch my plan, will post when done. I am using a mav-et73 so the smoker probe is actually below the charcoal grill coming out of the tube. Gives me a hi/lo on the kettle between lid temp and bottom. Not ready to invest in guru or stoker yet, might run a flex line to prpane tube from an electric air inflator...see what kind of heat i can generate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back