Pasta sauce with rib trimmings

david brociner

TVWBB Member
Cooking 4 racks of bb's this afternoon on my 18" WSM. I always save the rib trimmings with the best of intentions but today I actually made something with them and I thought I'd share.

Trimmings from 4 racks of ribs
One large yellow onion diced
6 cloves of garlic minced
Pinch of red pepper flakes
"Heavy" teaspoon of tomato paste
1/2 bottle of red wine
2 28 oz. cans of crushed tomatoes

Heat some olive oil in a dutch oven or other heavy bottomed pot.
Brown rib trimmings and set aside
Add chopped onion to the pot and scrap up the browned bits left over from the ribs
After onions have softened make a space and cook garlic until fragrant, about 30 seconds, and then combine with the onions
Add red pepper flakes to taste and stir to combine
Make another space and add tomato paste and cook it for 1 to 2 minutes before combining with everything else, color will change as tomato paste is combined with other ingredients
Pour in half a bottle of red wine and reduce by at least half, wine will start to thicken before moving to the next step
Add both cans of crushed tomatoes and stir to combine with everything else.
Allow to coming to a slow boil.

Now you can cover and braise slowly or you can transfer to an Instant Pot, which I did. Cook on high pressure for 45 minutes and allow pressure to naturally release, about 45 minutes more. Transfer to a bowl to cool, refrigerate until ready to use. Before use discard fat that has risen to the surface.

You might ask why not just make the entire dish in the Instant Pot using the sauté function? I find you have much more control cooking on the stovetop and it's only one extra pot to wash which is a small price to pay for a better result.

About to take the ribs off the smoker. I guess that's for a separate post.

Enjoy

Back