P shaped bottom vents on Kettle

Mike Martin

TVWBB Member
Does anyone else think these are harder to adjust the percentage they are opened or closed (except full open or closed) than the old style? Maybe it's just me. Bought a new Performer last year and I think they are harder to adjust than the old style. I'm not really sure why they changed them.

20230806_121630.jpgI marked the positions on the bottom of mine with a sharpie.

One mark where the cutout of the P is open but the rest of the vent is closed.

Another to the right where the vent is fully open. Any adjustment to the right of that line does nothing.

It took a bit to figure it out, but once I did I really like them for low and slow cooks. I do exactly what Tim explained and it works well.

I have the open and closed marked also. It's the 1/4, 1/2, and 3/4 open settings that are more difficult because the p shape doesn't seem to open in a linear fashion. Guess I'll just have to get used to it. Does anyone know why they changed it.

Most likely to streamline production. Drop a die set and separate line when stamping. The P started on the Summit Charcoal, my red LE from ‘18 doesn’t have them, my Glen Blue 26” doesn’t have them, all my other stuff does. Minus the base model 18” I just picked up. Whether the base 22” has them or not I’m not sure, I didn’t look at that one the other day.

I believe it was added to the Summit specifically for smoking and trickled to kettles as they saw it worked well. Added bonus if they also didn’t have to have different dies.

I have the open and closed marked also. It's the 1/4, 1/2, and 3/4 open settings that are more difficult because the p shape doesn't seem to open in a linear fashion. Guess I'll just have to get used to it. Does anyone know why they changed it.
My understanding was that it was done for the purpose of maintaining low and slow smokes. Which is why the symbol on the damper cover shows two smoke lines.

Back