Other uses for HeaterMeter?

CraigMW

TVWBB Member
I'm quite impressed by the HM4.1 I've assembled. Bryan has done a great job developing this platform, and it really works very well for controlling smokers. I'm just wondering if folks might be using this for other purposes. I've seen some posts on using this as a Sous Vide controller, and it appears to be a relatively simple matter to make an SSR switcher to plug in a crockpot or other cooker for this purpose. However, I can see this useful for a number of other projects.

For example, it would seem that with some tweaking of the code, it would be possible to control a fridge for regulating fermentation temps for homebrewing. A couple of tweaks might make this a little more useful, like changing the sampling interval to allow for monitoring over weeks instead of hours. Also, the provision of a second digital pin and additional code to control a heating circuit (or two, or three!) would allow for two stage control of fermentation. Heck, this could even serve as a two stage thermostat for HVAC.

A second possible application would be to control mash temps for homebrewing. This could be done without modification, since the output from the HM could control an SSR switching high voltage to a heating element in the mash tun, HLT or RIMS tube. The servo outputs could even be used to control gas fired vessels:

I'd love to hear what folks are using the HM for besides controlling a smoker.

Back