Ordered new Guru today

matt west

Just ordered a new Guru DigiQ II today. I've been Egging for 7 years with no Auto Temp Control and can not wait to try the Guru out. The thought of actually being able to sleep during a low and slow was the main selling point. Sure I’ll have some tech questions for you seasoned Auto Temp Cont guru's when it arrives.

Thanks..The main reasons I picked the Guru over the Stoker was its ease of use. I’m a plug and play kind of guy and don’t to worrying about bridge connectors and Ethernet and connect ability ect. The only reason I strongly considered the Stroker was its ability to monitor more than one food. That feature could come in handy but at the end of the day I went with a system I felt most comfortable with. Hope that answers your question.

Well, actually I'm already a happy Guru owner. The ATCS section has more Stoker traffic implying that there it is a more popular choice for an ATCS. Of course it could also imply that there are more problems with the unit(just kidding of course).

Just trying to keep the playing field equal.

You will love the Guru! I have a Stoker and I love it. I suppose the Stoker has more posts because so0me of its features rely on computer networking...but networking is not required to use the Stoker. Most of the posts are not related to the Stoker doing its thing, but rather how to get the network to work. The ones who do get it all working together don't post except to help others. In all, both units work extremely well at maintaining a steady temperature and they both have their place. I am seriously considering a Guru just to have ATC at my summer place. Of course, I need another WSM as well!

Russell, I bet you knew you'd drag a happy Stoker user out of lurking!
icon_biggrin.gif

As far as ease of use ~ Guru wins hands down. It's pretty much place the probes, mount the blower, set the temp and you're done. As long as you have enough fuel to last the night you are good to go. On an egg this usually isn't a problem.

Tom is right in that most of the chatter here is about how to get the Stoker hooked up to a network and communicating with StokerLog. He also stated that the device does not need all that to actually work which is true but the user interface is a little confusing.

I've got both a Guru Competitor and a Stoker. Since I got the stoker the Guru has been docked for the most part. It's nice knowing what temperature your pit was at while you were sleeping so you can make adjustments when you get up. Not a problem if you have an egg for the most part but on less efficient smokers it comes in handy.

-rob

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by matt west:
Just ordered a new Guru DigiQ II today. I've been Egging for 7 years with no Auto Temp Control and can not wait to try the Guru out. The thought of actually being able to sleep during a low and slow was the main selling point. Sure I’ll have some tech questions for you seasoned Auto Temp Cont guru's when it arrives. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Great choice Matt. It's a set it and forget it and that's all that's needed IMO. The Guru cooks the food just as well as the stoker with zero hassles.
icon_wink.gif

Matt, congrats on you new ATC/Toy. This however got me a bit curious, "I've been Egging for 7 years with no Auto Temp Control and can not wait to try the Guru out. The thought of actually being able to sleep during a low and slow was the main selling point." Are you unable to do an overnight on your egg without adjusting vents/damper? Don't get me wrong, I'm not questioning your purchase of the ATC for your Egg, I too have a ceramic and use my Stoker for overnight cooks, just surprised me to read this. I've thought of Eggs as even more set it and forget it than WSMs and I dare saw the majority of us can do overnights on our WSMs with no adjustments during the night. Again, I don't mean this post any other way other than just curious in your first hand experience on long cooks with the egg.

You'll love your Guru, my buddy Ed C. has one and it's rock solid and very easy to use.

Back