NY Strip Roast to Sandwich Meat - How to season?

Clint

TVWBB Olympian
I have a 7# NY Roast I've been 'dry aging' in the meat drawer of my fridge since Christmas. It's partially frozen but I need to do something with it asap.

I've been planning on marinating this thing then smoking it.

How should I do it - Garlic, Black Pepper, & Onion rub for a couple of days & then grill/smoke it? I plan to portion it & then freeze it in 1# food saver bags.

I thought of asking Wolgast to cook it in his fire place for me but I heard the delivery trucks' tires are all frozen to the ground
icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Clint:
I have a 7# NY Roast I've been 'dry aging' in the meat drawer of my fridge since Christmas. It's partially frozen but I need to do something with it asap.

I've been planning on marinating this thing then smoking it.

How should I do it - Garlic, Black Pepper, & Onion rub for a couple of days & then grill/smoke it? I plan to portion it & then freeze it in 1# food saver bags. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Frozen since X-mas?? Ur temps are off and you aren't dry aging it....edible, not sure....
wait fer more responses.....

it's going to be eaten, of course unless there's a >50% chance of death.

I shouldn't lol @ food poisoning - my dad's friend's wife died of food poisoning ~4 years ago.

Marinating isn't all that effective on thick roasts. You could inject (I rarely bother) or simply rub with a flavorful blend. Rest when cooked and cool well, unwrapped. Loosely cover then chill in the fridge. Slice when cold (it's easier) then portion to freeze.

You could make a jus to dip the slices in if you want to serve the sandwiches warm, you could make a flavored mayo or two (they're quick), or a flavored sour cream, or the like.

From what I remember from your posts, the dangerous bacteria doesn't grow until after it's cooked, if it's introduced.

Of course I only took it to 120 in the middle, but that should be OK, right?

I just did a simple rub, fairly heavy, of garlic, onion, & black pepper. I bot this whole strip & gave the big half to a worker/friend for his christmas eve dinner - I planned on portioning this NY Strip (bot @ $3.50/lb) into thick steaks & freezing them like I did just a couple of weeks before. But I got lazy (I work from sun-up to sun-down a lot of days) & it was partially frozen.

It was like prime rib though - so tender.

Dangerous bacteria can grow before cooking but cooking solves that problem. There is a type, S. aureus, that can become problematic after cooking - which is why I'm always stressing quick cooling, and not packing or wrapping anything while still warm and fridging it.

Back