Newbie question about chicken...

I'm almost too shy to ask, but what is the best method of cooking chicken breasts on the Weber? I found that when I use a thick chicken breast and leave it whole, by the time the thicker section cooks the rest of it is burnt. I can always butterfly them but I would rather not. What's the secret to juicy chicken breasts on a charcoal grill?

I was thinking maybe searing it on both sides to get my grill marks then moving it to the other side and let it go indirect for say 15-20 minutes but I'm afraid this might make for a dry piece of chicken. Maybe my grill is too hot (too much coal) and I should use less to be able to grill direct the whole time?

Any help is greatly appreciated and thanks in advance!

Mark

Mark: "I was thinking maybe searing it on both sides to get my grill marks then moving it to the other side and let it go indirect for say 15-20 minutes"

This is what i do all the time,if u have a probe to temp the breasts even better if u wanna pull em "just right" but for big breasts i would sear 2 min / side then indirect for about 20 min depends on size and the heat in ur grill.

If ur not sure after the 20 min cut the biggest breast in 2(the thick side) and if its not pink go for it..still pink let em go another 5 min and lern from the amount of coals/time for next cook.

I bet u will be proud of the turnout anyway.

If the breast is mutch smaller at 1 end tie it up to even the size.

Regards from sweden.

Bless/Me

Hej Wolgast!

Thank you for the useful info, I will be trying it this way sometime this weekend. Out of curiosity, would you maybe suggest going indirect first and grilling direct at the end for the grill marks?

I rather have the high heat part done for the marks and then indirect for the probe temp.

But if i cook a to me "normal" size over a "normal" heat i can go with whatever.

But if u doing a chicken to be perfect for the first couple of times use a probe,and be sure to get a sense for how it feels and looks and u dont need a probe in the future..

Bless

Hi Gary,

Normally I marinate the chicken breasts. I brine my pork chops and they come out quite tender but I've never thought of doing the same with the chicken.

If I wanted to put a layer of BBQ sauce on the chicken while it's cooking, I imagine I would do so near the very end of the cook to avoid burning the sauce and creating a crust?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">but what is the best method of cooking chicken breasts on the Weber? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Are you talking boneless/skinless?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Are you talking boneless/skinless? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, I mainly use these because they are much easier to find here (oddly enough...)

Okay. I only cook those when I absolutely have to and will marinate or brine first in most cases. I just cook them direct because they cook so quickly - like <10 min, tops, if typical.

Dryness comes from overcooking - but very high direct heat can overcook the exterior of the breast before the interior gets done. Moderately hot temps are better. It helps to have them at room temp as well before putting them on the grill.

Also, to have them cook more evenly, remove the tenderloin (save for another use or cook separately) and lightly pound the breasts to even the thickness.

Kevin is spot on. I ALWAYS make grilled chicken breasts as I am on a diet now! At least its low carb so I get lots of grilled meats! LOL!

Anyhow, I always pound them down to make them thinner and or even. Use the meat tenderizer on the side with the skin type membrane. If you use it on the other side it will mangle the **** out of it. I then grill them direct on my genesis at about 425 to 450. I just eyeball them and remove when i think theyre done. usually about 6 to 7 minutes per side I guess, never had a problem...

I also almost always marinate them for about 2 hours before cooking. Marinating makes a HUGE difference for chicken breast, in my opinion. I have three favorite marinades:

Brianas Asiago Ceasar dressing (available at wal mart)

McCormicks Mojito Lime marinade

Mixture I made myself last night:
1/3 cup oil
1/4 cup water
generous amount of Wolfe Citrus
splash of lime juice
splash of white vinegar

My recipe and the Mojito lime are AMAZING topped with pepper jack and frash avocado!

Caesar
41cef3c8.jpg

I'll have to give your mixture a try, it sounds really good! So hopefully I can find the time this weekend to make some chicken breasts and I'll flatten them a little before grilling as suggested.

Thanks to everyone for their input!

Mark

I too would recommend you flatten them. I have a Jaccard tenderizer and love it.

I also marinate my chicken (stuff is a lil bland to me).

Lastly, I think the idea of searing over high heat and finishing over lower heat is backwards. I like to start my meat over low heat and finish over high heat.

Meat yes. Poultry - especially b/s chicken - I don't see the point in cooking indirect at all as they're so quick, there's no fat to soften or render, etc. Skin-on bone-in chicken, that I cook indirect the whole time, at 450 or better, and don't bother with direct at all.

I tried the Roadside Chicken, using thighs, for the first time the other day and they turned out great. The brine seems to help keep the chicken from drying out, and imparts a solid flavor. Well, not super strong in terms of spices/flavor, that way, but definitely juicy. Very "roadside" as the name implies. Simple but good.

Anyhow, when I cooked these, I did the reverse sear. All thighs off to the side, then direct at the end to add some crispiness.

Worked for me!

Back