New To Me Weber Q200

Matt Heebner

TVWBB Fan
Neighbors across the street were having a garage sale. They had a 2005 Weber Q200 with stand, propane tank for sale. I asked how much and the lady said that she didnt think it worked any more or it needed a new burner. She said $10. I jumped at the price and rolled it home. A few hours with some oven cleaner and soap and water, and elbow grease to remove a lifetime of food grease and the sucka works perfectly. Ignitor lit the burners on the first push and all the little holes lit also. I am in the process of doing a nice high heat burn on the cast iron grate.

My question is how much 'blue flame' should be coming out of the burner tube ? Its getting nice and hot but I dont see too much difference between high and low heat.

2012-04-21_16-11-53_261.jpg

2012-04-21_16-12-03_386.jpg

2012-04-21_16-12-15_915.jpg

Don't open your door to police officers because you stole that thing. What a great buy.

As for the burners, make sure you follow the recommended lighting procedures for a 20lb propane tank. With the cover open...

1. Make sure the propane tank and heat control knob are set to off.
2. Slowly turn on the gas at the tank.
3. Wait a minute.
4. Turn the grill heat control knob to start.
5. Press the ignition button until the burner starts to flame.
6. Close the lid and allow the grill to warm up.

If you don't leave sufficient time between opening the tank and setting the grill to start, the hose from the tank to the regulator doesn't fill properly and you won't be able to get the grill very hot and you won't notice any difference between low and high.

Bill

Wow..I really didnt think there would that much of a learning curve. Today I went out and and tried to get my new to me 200 going. I was having tons of issues trying to get it lit fully, and again there was no difference between high and low. The burner flames were flickering on and off.
I disassembled the entire burner and made sure everything was cleared out. Reassembled and again same issue. Came inside and read back over Bills post. I did everything he stated really taking time opening the propane valve, and lettting it sit for a good 2-3 min.
Worked perfectly. THANKS Bill !!
Nice big flame on high, small flame on low. Really heated up quick. I think these instructions should be a sticky at the top for all new Q owners, especially since I have not had to deal with propane in like 15 years.

Also as a side note, a piece of RG-6 coaxial cable with the jacket and insulation stripped down to bare copper makes an EXCELLENT burner hole 'poker' to clear the crud out. Leave a nice 4 to 5 inch unstripped wire to hold on to. The rg-6 fits in the holes perfect.

Glad it worked for you.

These grills were originally designed to use one pound propane bottles. There is a design flaw when using them with the twenty pound tanks that requires the procedure I detailed above. It shouldn't be that way but it is, so we have to use the work-around.

Experiment with the amount of time you take to turn on the tank and the amount of time you wait to turn on the grill. Eventually, you'll find the quickest time to do each and still have the grill reach full temp. I don't spend too much time turning on the tank. But after I open the tank I'll usually go into the house to grab something that I need from the kitchen. When I get back I turn on the grill. That's usually enough time to fill the hose. Weber customer service says to wait two full minutes, but I think they're just being overly cautious to insure that no one has a problem.

Bill

Love my 200. I used it as our main grill while my big Genisis was down and never really missed the larger grill. I added a weber thermometer to mine and think it's really worth it.

I picked up my Q200 a few months ago for $50 with the portable stand. I had no idea I would love cooking on this little grill as much as I have. After a good cleaning, it looks like a million bucks, fires on the first try, and cooks like a champ. I waited for about a year before I found this one, well worth the wait!!
I Love My Q-200!
Tim

I took my Q220 to a Jimmy Buffett concert tailgate. Got there at 11:00 am started the grill with my 20lb tank and grilled some burgers right away. Then I left the grill going on low all day. If I wanted to to grill something I just turned up the heat and was ready to go in a minute. Did "Cheeseburgers In Paradise", corn, shrimp, and kielbasa. That Weber Q is a champ.

Bill

Back