new to me performer lump question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eric H

TVWBB Fan
Hello, all, I have finally ran across a performer on craigs list, and im wondering how people are using lump?
in the boxes, or with a double grate mod?

im embarrassed to say i have never grilled with charcoal, its been gas up until now, (except for the WSM) i do use lump in my wsm, with the double grate mod so im good to go just seems it will fall through the charcoal grate.

any thoughts?

thanks, Eric

I have two charcoal grates in and I'm still using my baskets.

Pour your lump into a bucket first, then place the larger pieces in the bottom, then fill and top up with the bits. I don't throw out any lump.

congrats on the performer. i bet you'll soon be neglecting your gasser.
i use 2 grates on everything but the 26. the charcoal grate is $45 and wouldnt stack well anyway with its extra brace.
if using a lump/k mix you can also use k on the bottom of the chimney then lump on top . that also keeps the small lump from falling thru as easily.

one can always get expanded sheet metal from a metal shop. usually cheap cuz they can't use the small pieces. you might wanna first learn to cook with briquettes in the weber before going to lump.

I use 3/8" square screen from the hardware store (not galvanized) for a couple bucks. The wire is thin and doesn't clog with ash. Works great.

I have always cooked with lump in my WSM and Performer. First thing I did was buy and extra charcoal grate for both. You put the second grate on top of the other, turned so that you now have little "squares" pattern that the small stuff doesn't fall through. Anything that falls through after this is too small to worry about.

I hardly ever use the baskets in the Performer. I just dump in to one side or the other and/or move around with a charcoal rake or tongs.

Here's a charcoal rake:

charcoal/ash rake

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Eric H:
and im wondering how people are using lump?
in the boxes, or with a double grate mod? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I use the double grate mod in all my Weber grills and WSM's. I use nothing but lump.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back