New Owner Q320

Sal

Hello all,
Finished putting me Q320 together yesterday. Everything went great during the assembly. Can't wait to do some cooking this week.

I have a question about the grates. Should I season the grates? Do I need to do a burn before my first cook? I read somewhere that the grates were porcelain covered cast iron, but they look cast iron to me. Thanks for your help!

Welcome to TVWBB.

I understand that the Q grates are porcelain coated. If they don't rust, then that's what they are. Of course if the porcelain chips they will rust.

I got mine used so it was already pretty well seasoned.
icon_wink.gif
I usually oil the food and grates though some prefer to only oil the food. I don't think you need to do a burn before the first cook. However, every cook usually starts by preheating the grill so that should burn off anything left over from the manufacturing process.

Welcome Sal
Q grates are CI
A light oil with vegetable , canola oil before you preheat is all you'll need to do
Just don't use olive oil otherwise you'll smoke the neighbourhood out.
Great purchase by the way,I've had mine for 6 months and love it .It does a great steak

Thanks for the replies! A light coating with canola oil it is. I will be sure to preheat it before cooking. I think I will break it in tomorrow night with some burgers.

I'm sure this will be a great grill. I'm looking forwad to using it for a long time. I like the idea that it is mostly plastic and aluminum, no rust.I have bought other grills ( not Weber) that only last a couple years before they start to rust. Thanks again,
Sal

Hy.....you have the greatest Q grill!!!

Just a good burn when new to get anything burned off if there is anything left from the manufacturing process. Grates as well as the gridlle are cast iron and no porcelain is on those. Keep it clean and oiled when not in use or it will rust and mold (at cold and damp situations). The best way to clean it is to use a Weber brush - the coiled one. I prepare myself a bucket of cold water and emidiately after finishing the cook simply dip the brush in the water and brush the grates with some pressure. The steam is great with removing anything left on the grate. Than I shut the gas off and just oil the grates with plain cooking oil.
This is trualy an amazing piece of grill you have!!
Check this sites for advice, recipes and bragging - LOL.
And one last advice from me for today....don't keep opening the lid during
cook. When it is done it is done. Learn your timing and the food will turn out just every time.

Best regards.

Peter

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">... Grates as well as the gridlle are cast iron and no porcelain is on those. ... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

From Weber's description

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">2 Porcelain-enameled cast-iron cooking grates </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The grate on mine is porcelain coated. Every other cast iron grate I have has a propensity to rust even when I try to keep it seasoned whereas the grate on my Q-220 doesn't have a hint of rust.

These Q Cast Iron grates don't seem to hold up for too many years. All the ones I ahve seen, corrode and rust.
Probably due to poor maintenance as suggested above. I hear you should only scrape them with a certain kind of brush, as to protect the coasting. Anyone have more info on that?

Grates are OK if you take even a little care of them. If you don't clean them after the cook but only before the new one it is also OK.

Peter

Thanks again for the help,
Cooked burgers last night, they came out good. Sprayed grates with a little canola oil and preheated. Cleaned them after the cook and everything looked ok.

Is there a certain brush anyone recommends? Or will any wire brush do. Thanks
Sal

Maybe you should oil the grate when it is heated allready. Oil burns and when added right before the cook it is limited burning only LOL. Don't use spray oil when your grill is allready hot....ball of fire danger so use a cloth.

A good brush is a coiled brush. Weber has them as well as others but keep in mind they get dirty fast enough so you want them changed if used a lot.

Peter

Back