New one-touch platinum

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone, new to the board.

I've decided on a weber for my next grill (of course) and I'm seriously looking at the new platinum. I think it's been briefly discussed here before, but does anyone here already own one? If so, what are the general impressions? I can hardly find any online reviews of this grill, nor do I often see them in the stores (although I did see one box at a local Lowe's. Thanks for the help.

Welcome to the asylum!

Have an older OTP here, gotten from another forum member for under $100, and love it. The table is the winner. It's a great place to ready tools and food. Store the current opened bag of charcoal under the table (as far away from the kettle as possible ;-).

Starting the charcoal, I've used chimney on the charcoal grate, portable propane torch on piled charcoal, and a starter cube. They all work. Would I like the Performer's propane starter? Don't really know, since I haven't used one, but I'm willing to guess not.

Love the ash catcher also. Never got a kettle-silver because worries of wind blowing ashes everywhere.

Two (possible) advantages the OTP has over the Performer: 1) No bump on the table for the charcoal bin handle, 2) no air gap/leak introduced by the propane starter for better control of airflow (which translates to better temp control).

HI Chris,

No matter which Weber you choose you'll be pleased with its quality and thoughtful design.
Given that, I've had the opportunity to check a Platinum out at my local TruValue and I think its a jewel. The ash catcher and tables are a must and the lid holder is really convenient.
If you can swing another $50 bucks or so I would give serious consideration to the Performer. All the benefits of the Platinum plus the gas assist lighting, a more functional table surface, coal storage and it has wheels for mobility.
Which ever you choose you will be pleased with the product for years to come.

Good Luck,

David

One thing I dislike about the new platinum is the grey painted finish on white plastic. It scratches easily and the scratches show as white.

The performer table plastic is solid color throughout so when it gets scratched it doesn't look as bad.

Other than that I think it's all aces
icon_smile.gif

I would spend the extra $70 and get a performer or I would save the extra $100 and get a OTG. I think the platinum is stuck in no man's land as far as features and price go.

I love my Performer and I think it's totally worth the money. I like the new platinums a lot and almost bought one but I think it would be difficult to cut back to the 2 smaller work surfaces verses the one big one.

Paul is right that their is a air gap in the performers for the starter to vent, but it's not a huge deal...just kinda annoying because the grill takes longer to cool down. There is no bump in the table to get to the charcoal on the newer models (they open from the side now).

I think my recommendation in general would be to go with the performer except for 2 circumstances:

1) You are left-handed...which I realize sounds funny but it's obviously built for right-handed people (just look at it with the lid up and imagine trying to use your left hand to do stuff...it would suck)...or

2) you have plenty of outdoor workspace already and a side burner on your gasser (though the starter on the performer works great, the side burner on my gasser works even faster on a chimney).

In these situations, you might be better off saving a few bucks and getting the new OTP. Otherwise, performer gets my vote.

Chris -

I have had my OTP for a month and love it. I didn't want to mess with gas and I was looking for something a little sturdier than my OTS (it has now be reassigned to Houston Texans tailgate duty). I like the lid design compared to my OTS (at night a couple of times I thought I had it hooked only to watch the lid fall off). The shelves are a bit small but I can rest items like tongs on there without dogs coming by and licking the ends. The ash catcher is great as I don't have to worry about my dogs coming by for a quick sniff of a piece of small hot lump charcoal that fell through the grates.

-Don Dukes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back