New Old Grill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Larry Powers

TVWBB Member
I decided this weekend That an 18 inch kettle would be nice grill to have when it is time to cook one steak for me and the wife. And of course a red grill is way more fun then a black one. This one has been on craigslist for a while, so I shot off a couple of emails and picked it up on the way home. I have read on this sight that there is a red high temp paint that will do a decent job of touching up the kettle. I'll go after the rack at the base of the grill with some black paint and will be good to go.

The New Grill

First Problem

Second Problem

The Whole Family

Oh she is beautiful! I'm working on a family of redheads (to go along with my wife and daughters) and still need an 18 and a 14 Smokey Joe.

Your first problem doesn't look too bad - my redhead performer had a couple of those chips. I touched it up with 1200 degree brake caliper paint. It's not an exact match - its lighter - and it doesn't change colors with the rest of the grill when it gets hot, but it protects the surface. I used newspaper and masking tape to get the area isolated, then built up several layers of the paint over several days. It seems to be holding up well.

The second problem would be more troublesome to me since it appears that the weld is in danger of breaking. You might want to be preemptive and drill through that handle and secure it with a nut and bolt, then hit it with the paint.

Despite those two little problems, she is a real beauty and the side table is a definite plus.

Fantastic score!

Pat

i may change my mind later but i don't touch up the boo boo's. i just lightly sand and then treat with pam. i let my grills wear their war wounds/scars with pride. but i can see why you would want to touch it up. also likghtly sand the wood gandles and treat them with some mineral oil. great save !

Hey Jeff too bad you were on vacation when I came across that dark blue 18. It would have completed your set. Nice family.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back