New(ish) Performer!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sherry N

Yay! I was able to get a Performer off of CL. It was the C&B green just like I wanted, new in the box with the warranty card and all! I assembled it yesterday and did my first cook on it today. (My first time ever grilling.) I made hamburgers, grilled potatoes, and grilled pineapple. The food tasted great and the Performer propane start is fantastic! I have some more questions, though.
icon_smile.gif

The little charcoal baskets, do people use those regularly? It seemed like it gave me a very small area for direct cooking. Am I doing something wrong? I felt like I needed more direct heat areas. My hamburgers got pretty grill lines, but everything else got shoved to the sides so they didn't get quite as much time right over the coals.

What should I do after cooking? I cleaned off the cooking grate and I know I need to sweep out the ash, but is there any regular cleaning I need to do beyond that?

(Sorry for the silly questions. It's my first grill.
icon_smile.gif

Oh! And what do you recommend for some beginner grill meals? I need to get my feet wet.
icon_smile.gif

Great score! I have the same one, "C&B Green" and love it!

Re the baskets...I don't use them. My first Weber grill was a One Touch Gold and the baskets didn't come with it so that's how I learned. Didn't switch techniques when I got the Performer. My boss has a Performer too and swears by them... Try a cook without them and find out what works for you. It already seems like you're leaning towards not using them.

Re regular maintenance...After a cook I just close down all the vents and that's it. The next cook I'll put any unburned coal in a chimney and sweep out the ashes from the grill. Then fill the chimney with new coal (on top of the used), light her up and wait until they are ready. Dump them out into the grill, put the cooking grate on and put the lid on (all vents wide open) and let everything preheat for 10 minutes or so. Brush the grate clean and then brush with a little oil and it's ready to cook on.

Re what to cook...Can't go wrong with anything here.

Good luck and welcome to your new addiction!!

I agree with Don. I only use the coal baskets when I am doing an indirect cook. For most high heat cooks I recommend a 2 zone fire with about a chimney full of coals. For steaks I use a 3 zone fire so I can get a good sear on them.

Welcome to Performer-Land. I hope you enjoy yours as much as I do mine. I like mine so much that the WSM is jealous of all the attention the Performer gets.

I use the baskets all the time, but only for indirect cooks. I will push them to opposite sides with a mini minion start and a throw away foil pan with water in the middle.

I usually just cook for me and the wife and when
its for grilling I just push the empty holders to the side and have my lump in the middle, plus I usually close the bottom vent to half unless its a steak, but mostly its a whole fish or chicken. I have actually done a rotisserie chicken with lump charcoal and always amazed how much lump is left over.

Anthony

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back