New E-Z Que

Status
Not open for further replies.

TOM BAUER

TVWBB Pro
Broke down and pruchased a E-Z Q for use on my 1992 Performer and the kettle at our cabin.. Boy!! is it a sturdy-looking unit that is well made. The stainless steel ring should last a lifetime and the brackets for holding meats or birds look like they will positively stay to keep the products in place. I am really impressed with the whole unit and 50# motor. I have yet to cook anything with the rotisserie, but tonite, I will try a whole chicken or 2 and let you know. Anyone have any tips to pass on???

make sure you tighten up the rods that go into the basket. also use a pair of pliers to snug up the food holders. using yer fingers is not enough and they will loosen up. congrats.

George, You are correct with the "wing screws" losing their tightness. I am going to look into some allen set screws for the replacements and use a "T" type allen wrench to adjust. I have seen allen set screws with both a pointed base and a concave appearance. They should be cheep so I will buy several because they will be easy to lose---

on the german sites i see folks using allen bolts that they bend over the head part to make an "L" that gives ya enough leverage to tighten the bolt without tools.

Great suggestion George!!! One less tool to loose. It looks like I will have to find some allen screws that are 1 1/2 or 2 inches long and then bend them over

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by TOM BAUER:
<snip> try a whole chicken or 2 and let you know. Anyone have any tips to pass on??? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've used my rotisserie 3 times for chickens & high heat seems to be the best so far.

1st cook: didn't have a thermometer on the OTP, stuck a probe in the top vent & it was well over 550F (I'm guessing somewhere around 650-700F). The skin split about 25 minutes in. I thought it was ruined but it was the best of all 3 times.

2nd cook: Drilled in a thermometer in the lid of the OTP & WSM. Cooked it low & slow... 300F. I had to choke the one touch vents all the way off due to the ring letting in a little more air. The low temperature cook let the fat run around in circles and stuck to the skin. I crisped it up at the end, it was good, but it wasn't as good as the first time.

3rd cook: 375-450F. Turned out better than low & slow, crispy skin but still not as good as the first.

IME, higher is better. I'd say ~550-600F, at least that's what I plan on aiming for next time. All 3 cooks took 90-105 minutes.

I've wanted to buy an 8" E-Z Cue for over a year now and they have been out of stock. A year ago when I asked I was told they would be in in a couple months.... I guess not! I'm still waiting!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back