New Braunfels Black Diamond

Originally posted by JSMcdowell:
Bill,

2 Questions.

1. How long of a smoke can you get out of your smoke box with a minion method ?

2. What was it going for ?

I saw a YouTube video by a guy who uses a stoker with his NBBD. He claims to get over 12 hours on a full charcoal basket. He also did a really good job of sealing air leaks in his unit so I'm sure that also helps.

Bill

Nice looking site, could be great if he finished it. Thanks for the link.

By the way my uncle got 6 hours at 225 w/o having to do much tending using a expanded metal basket and the MM.

Originally posted by JSMcdowell:
Nice looking site, could be great if he finished it. Thanks for the link.

By the way my uncle got 6 hours at 225 w/o having to do much tending using a expanded metal basket and the MM.

I guess the next experiment will be removing the few remaining coals from the basket after a six hour cook and then refilling it and getting a second minion method going. If you can do that, you can do a brisket cook with minimal tending.

Bill

I don't know why they don't include a basket when they sell these things. It really changes the efficiency of these cookers.

Bill

My uncle made his own expanded metal food grates, they came out great and look great once they were seasoned. I am about to post some pics of our comp practice run this weekend, should be one on there of them.

I learned on a Silver Smoker (Char-Broil's version). I did all the mods and loved cooking on it, but had to choose between it and my WSM. I sold the SS because it was a fuel hog and I couldn't do unattended over-nighters on it. Still miss cooking on it though; wish I would have kept it.

I have a friend with a NBBD, and his trick is to start a butt or two in it for a few hours, then move it into the oven overnight. That way, he can get some sleep and doesn't have to babysit his NBBD.
icon_cool.gif

I have tried talking him into a WSM, but he doesn't use his smoker very often, and that's good enough for him.

Bill,

He did several different things to it and ended up getting a nice 6 hour burn. But then he got a WSM, so I think he is going to sell the Black Diamond and the Bandera he also had.

Here is my first offset. A New Braunfels Silver Smoker I picked up off craigslist for $15. No before pics, but it was the typical Pacific Northwest left out in the rain uncovered, abused and full of wet ashes cooker!

100_1468.jpg

12"x12" charcoal basket and Rutland gasket between firebox
100_1467.jpg

Permatex HiTemp Silicone gasket on cook chamber door, tuning plates under grates, lowered exhaust vent to grate level and new Oak handle and table slats.
100_1466.jpg

Heat deflector directed under cook grates.
100_1465.jpg

Added an extra set of wheels for off road use!
100_1463.jpg

Calibrated the thermometer
100_1464.jpg

I did few unimpressed cooks with it and never enjoyed any of them. I sold it for $150 and ran into the guy that bought it a couple years later and he said it was collecting spiders-what goes around comes around, I guess!

Back